This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
Last modified on August 25th, 2020
If you’ve ever wondered what the best pre workout for women is in 2020, you aren’t alone. Preworkout supplements for women are incredibly popular. Proponents of women’s pre-workout supplements say they give you an energy boost to power you through even the most challenging workouts, but is that true?
It can depend on the quality of the product, the ingredients, and how you react to these ingredients.
The following are some important things to know about taking a women’s pre workout supplement, as well as our picks for the best pre-workouts for women in 2020.
The Top 8 Best Pre Workout for Women
We based our reviews of the best pre workouts for women on different factors, including customer reviews and ingredients. If you continue reading, we also detail some of the factors to keep in mind when you select a preworkout supplement.
Among the top-rated pre workout supplements for women on Amazon, Alani Nu is one of the top-rated.
- Includes 200 mg of caffeine as well as 500 mg of L-tyrosine
- Tested for banned substances
- Includes L-theanine to help you avoid a post-workout crash
- Includes no fillers
Reviewers of the Alani Nu Preworkout for women say that they like this product because it gives them an extra kick to do their workout, but without making them jittery. Reviewers also say this best pre workout for women gives them a pump and some tingling but not to the point that it makes you feel like your skin is crawling.
The taste is another big perk of the Alani Nu Pre-Workout powder. It’s available in a range of flavors such as mimosa, and reviewers say it doesn’t have that chalkiness that some preworkouts can have.
Ingredients in this best preworkout supplement for women include:
- 200 mg of caffeine with 200 L-theanine which can help you stay mentally focused during your workout
- 6g of citrulline malate which helps with pumps
- 6g of beta-alanine which helps with muscle buffering
- 500 mg of L-tyrosine, which is a neurotransmitter precursor, helping your brain to function optimally
Each package of Alani Nu Preworkout Powder contains 30 servings.
Beyond Raw Lit is a pre workout powder for women that’s top-ranked on Amazon and GNC. It can help support a workout in terms of intensity, pumps, and mental focus.
- Available in fun flavors like strawberry lemonade and gummy worm
- Can be used as a pre-workout by men and women
- Targets mental alertness as well as intense energy
- Sugar-free and gluten-free
- Reviews say there’s no post-workout crash for them with Beyond Raw Lit
The Beyond Raw Lit product has excellent reviews because it mixes well, has a refreshing taste, and helps people get that boost they want with their workouts without severe peaks and valleys.
Ingredients in this top pre workout for women include:
- 3g of L-citrulline per serving, to support the production of nitric oxide
- CarnoSyn beta-alanine which supports muscle carnosine levels for function and performance
- 250mg of caffeine per serving
All you do with this product is mix a scoop with eight ounces of cold water.
The RSP Amino Lean product is top-rated on Amazon, with nearly a full five stars and almost 4,600 customer reviews.
- This pre workout for women is unique because it includes amino acids (BCAAs and EAAs) so you’re getting those benefits in addition to boosting your workout results
- Each serving contains 125 mg derived from natural green tea
- You can take anywhere from one to three servings to find the right amount for you, and you’ll enjoy a boost of energy without the jitters or a crash
- This supplement is also useful for weight management because it contains green coffee bean, which helps promote weight loss
- There are no cars sugar or calories in this preworkout supplement
The AminoLean product is unique even compared to some of our other picks for the top women’s workout supplements because it does have so many benefits. The amino acids can help speed-up muscle repair following a workout. The formulation includes branched-chain amino acids and essential amino acids.
Green tea provides a clean source of energy as well.
According to reviews, using this pre workout supplement has helped customers look leaner relatively quickly. For example, one reviewer on Amazon says she used it for a week and lost nearly 10 pounds. Other reviews say this pre-workout product is great because it gives you the kick you need for a great workout without making you feel overstimulated.
The RSP AminoLean pre workout is available in fun flavor options like blue raspberry and pink lemonade, and each container has 30 servings.
The Evlution Nutrition BCAA Energy product is packed with all the good things you need not just to get the most from your workouts, but also for your overall health and wellness. With a nearly perfect Amazon rating and almost 4,000 customer reviews, it’s a great option for complete energy.
- Includes 5 grams of lean muscle-building branched-chain amino acids
- 5 grams of endurance-boosting amino acids
- Antioxidants and B vitamins are included in this formulation
- Mental focus and the physical energy boost comes from the green coffee bean and green tea extract, meaning your body is fueled by clean energy
- Vitamin C helps strengthen your immune system
- No carbs, gluten, calories or sugar
What’s nice about the Evlution Nutrition BCAA Energy product is that it’s much more than just a pre workout for women. The BCAAs included will help your muscle-building goals and will also aid in muscle recovery after a workout.
There’s beta-alanine, which helps with the buffering of lactic acid, and it can help give you more endurance during heavy weight training.
This formulation includes taurine as well, which hydrates your cells.
BCAA Energy includes 100% of the recommended amount of vitamin C.
The C4 Ripped Sport is a good all-around pre workout supplement for women or men. It’s beneficial in terms of giving you energy for workout performance, and it can also be a helpful weight loss supplement.
- This top preworkout for women is affordable and also includes a fat-loss formula
- CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine is meant to delay fatigue onset for better performance and power
- Citrulline Malate supports increased nitric oxide levels
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) is meant to help suppress fat-gaining enzymes and preserve lean muscle mass
This women’s preworkout supplement is sugar-free and includes 135 mg of caffeine per serving.
According to reviews, this preworkout provides clean, smooth energy. It can work well even if you don’t do well with tons of caffeine. It dissolves quickly, and unlike some other preworkouts, reviewers say it doesn’t cause gassiness or bloating.
Since C4 ripped has a thermogenic, reviewers say they think it makes them sweat more.
Some reviews describe the energy they get with this supplement as explosive.
Optimum nutrition is a preworkout supplement that works for women or anyone who wants clean energy and amino acids. This keto-friendly preworkout is good for runners, or anyone who wants energy, muscle recovery and to be able to replenish electrolytes they lose while working out
- 100 mg of caffeine derived from natural sources
- Five calories per serving and no sugar
- Includes amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein and help your muscles build after you workout
- Contains electrolytes and minerals like magnesium and potassium for fluid balance and muscle function
Even if you’re sensitive to caffeine, you may find that this top preworkout supplement for women is a good option for you. Even if you have more than one scoop, you may feel that clean energy boost without feeling jittery or uncomfortable.
Reviewers say adding this product to their routine has been a game-changer, and it seems to be especially geared toward runners, although anyone who works out is likely to see benefits with this preworkout.
You may find that your workouts are completed with more mental energy and focus too.
This is our second pick from Evlution Nutrition, and this is a thermogenic fat-burning powder to aid in energy and weight loss.
This preworkout is for men and women, and it has a total of 18 active ingredients, with no sugar, calories, or carbs.
- Caffeine is derived from natural sources—green coffee and green tea for more mental focus and cleaner energy
- Enhanced with a B-vitamin complex for boosts of energy through the most difficult parts of a workout
- L-carnitine is included which can help your body turn fat into fuel
- Includes the ENGN SHRED formulation of CLA, L-carnitine, and Capismax which all help attack fat and make sure it’s efficiently used as fuel during your exercise
ENGN SHRED is a great product if you want a thermogenic preworkout. It will help your mental activity be sharp and on point, while your muscle fibers are activating. This product may help with increased blood flow and more endurance, as well.
According to reviews, this is one of the best pre workouts available and it doesn’t lead to the development of tolerance. Reviewers also say it doesn’t interfere with their sleep or give them a crash or anxiety after using it like is sometimes experienced with preworkouts.
Even taken on an empty stomach, reviewers say they don’t experience nausea or other upset issues.
Nobi Nutrition is one of our favorite supplement brands in general, and its Premium Women’s Fat Burner is no exception. There are nearly 12,000 reviews for this product on Amazon, most of which are positive.
- The Nobi product contains BHB carb blocker that helps your body burn fat as fuel
- This fat burner is specifically formulated for the needs of women
- Serves as an appetite suppressant that provides non-carb brain fuel to your brain, muscles, and heart that allows you to burn fat and keep up your energy levels even when you aren’t taking in a lot of carbs.
- Reviews say that users have positive results including significant weight loss even in the first week
This product can help you maintain your energy levels, but it’s more than that. The Nobi Nutrition Preworkout is also a keto-friendly supplement that can help fuel every part of your body in the most efficient way while helping you lose weight and achieve your fitness goals.
What is a Preworkout Supplement?
You may be wondering whether or not you need a preworkout supplement.
A preworkout for women or men is something you can take before you workout to boost your energy levels. Most preworkouts have a combination of caffeine, B-vitamins and antioxidants. Some have carbs, but most are carb- and calorie-free.
The idea, along with boosting your energy, is that a preworkout supplement may be able to help improve blood flow to your muscles.
Most preworkouts are meant to be taken anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour before you plan to workout.
Is There a Difference Between Women’s Preworkout Supplements and Men’s?
Since this review is about the best women’s pre workouts of 2020, it’s worth discussing if there is any difference between women’s supplements and men’s.
Men’s preworkout supplements usually have more caffeine in each serving. Women might not be able to tolerate such high levels of caffeine. That’s the primary difference, but some women’s supplements might also have ingredients that are specific to women, such as fat burners.
In some cases, there may not even be any discernible differences between women’s preworkouts and men’s, but they may just be marketed or advertised differently.
What Ingredients Will You Commonly See In a Preworkout?
The ingredients are most important when you choose a preworkout for women or men, and the following are some of the ingredients you’ll most often see in these supplements.
- Nitric oxide precursors: Nitric oxide is something your body produces on its own. When you naturally produce nitric oxide, it helps relax your blood vessels and improve blood flow. There are often compounds in the preworkout supplements that do something similar. These compounds are used by the body to make nitric oxide, and the idea is that when you use these in supplement form, it can help boost the oxygen and nutrients delivered to your muscles, which may improve your physical performance. Nitric oxide precursors often included in preworkout supplements include L-arginine, L-citrulline, and beetroot juice. The effects of these ingredients in preworkout supplements for women is a bit of a gray area because currently available research on nitric oxide tends to focus on young men.
- Caffeine: Of all the ingredients often found in preworkout supplements, caffeine is undoubtedly the most common, although the sources of caffeine may vary between products. Caffeine is included in preworkout supplements to help with mental alertness and focus, as well as fat-burning and general workout performance.
- Creatine: This isn’t included in all preworkout supplements, but sometimes it is. Creatine is produced by your body and stored in your muscles. If it’s included in preworkout supplements, it may help with your recovery time after a strenuous workout, and some proponents feel it helps boost muscle mass and strength as well as overall performance. Creatine is also often used as a supplement on its own.
- L-Arginine: This was touched on briefly above as a nitric oxide precursor, but it’s something worth discussing on its own because of how often its included in many of the above top preworkout supplements for women.
- Beta-alanine: This is something bodybuilders, and athletes use to help boost their muscle performance when lifting weights.
How to Choose a Women’s Preworkout Supplement
There are a lot of factors that can go into choosing a preworkout supplement.
A few of the main factors include:
- There are different preworkout supplements for women and men that can offer different benefits, based on your goals. For example, if someone is in what’s called a cutting cycle, they might want to avoid preworkout supplements with a lot of sugar or carbohydrates. On the other hand, if you’re trying to add mass, which isn’t that common for women but is still a possible goal, you might want a preworkout supplement that has nutrients to support that.
- Simple ingredients are essential. You want a preworkout with as few ingredients as possible, and you want to make sure you know at least what most of them are.
- Consider the amount of caffeine in your preworkout supplement, especially if you are sensitive to the effects of caffeine.
- If possible, look for a women’s preworkout supplement free of artificial sweeteners. Sugar and artificial sweeteners can cause you to feel a crash after your workout.
- How many carbs per serving does the product have? If your goal is to slim down while also gaining muscle, you might not want to have a lot of extra carbs in your supplements.
Should You Take a Women’s Preworkout Supplement?
The decision as to whether or not to take a women’s preworkout supplement is up to you. Some people find they help their workouts tremendously, while other people find they have adverse side effects or no effects at all. If you’ve previously tried supplements and didn’t like them for some reason, you might want to try a few different options until you get the formulation that works for you, because everyone is so different.
Preworkout supplements work best when you’re adequately hydrated, eat well, and get enough sleep.