Last modified on June 23rd, 2023
There are many great supplement brands with real backstories and honest people who own and operate them, and Alani Nu is a good example. We wanted to provide you with everything you should know about the brand and highlight seven of our favorite products, including the Pre Workout, Balance, and the energy drink.
Who Owns the Company?
Katy Hearn founded the brand in 2019, and in the past several years, she and her husband have grown the company enormously. Katy Hearn was first well-known for being a fitness influencer.
According to Hearn, during college, she gained weight and wasn’t living a healthy lifestyle. At the time, it wasn’t normal to see girls lifting weights, but that’s what she started doing to get fit and feel better about herself. She started using an anonymous Instagram and Twitter account and following other fitness pages to keep herself motivated.
Through social media, Katy met her husband Haydn, and they worked on creating the brand together.
The philosophy is that their products help you go the extra mile in your workouts with unnecessary or unhealthy ingredients.
Katy and Haydn said that as they were working as personal trainers, they were often asked by clients for recommendations of healthy, trustworthy supplements. They couldn’t vouch for any products, so they started making their own.
Key ways that Alani Nu stands out in a crowded marketplace include the fact that there are limited ingredients in every product. Simple formulations and transparency mean that unnecessary ingredients are left out.
All products are made in a GMP-certified facility that meets good manufacturing standards. Alani Nu works with a licensed PharmD to create all of their products.
Finally, what you may have noticed if you’re familiar with the brand at all is that they have great flavors that are fun and completely different.
If you’ve never checked out Katy Hearn’s Instagram, it’s inspiring in and of itself. She has 1.8 million followers and documents her workouts, work, and family life with two young kids. We love the idea of supporting a working mom who started her own successful business and the fact that her Alani Nu products are always top-rated.
With that in mind, we delve into our favorite products below.
We have written a full review on Balance that’s worth checking out, but we also touch on some of the key points below.
- Balance is a women’s hormonal balance supplement
- Helps boost estrogen and other essential hormones
- Includes chromium for blood sugar control
- Includes L-glutathione, which improves skin health
- May help normalize menstrual cycle
- Can help with typical symptoms of PCOS
- Promotes neural, psychological, and cardiovascular health
Balance is one of the company’s top sellers. You can find it in powder or capsule form, and it supports female fertility and hormonal health. Alani Nu Balance can help with complexion and weight management, energy levels, and healthy sleep.
Myo-inositol is one of the key ingredients which can restore insulin sensitivity and promote fertility. Alani Nu Balance also includes DIM, which helps stabilize estrogen levels and prevents testosterone from turning into estrogen.
The ALA in Balance can improve insulin sensitivity, especially in women who have PCOS or are overweight.
Chromium has been proven to reduce fat deposition in the mid-section, and it can improve blood sugar levels. Alani Nu also has folate, which is important for brain and mental health and can help with fertility.
Thousands and thousands of users are enormous fans of Alani Nu Balance and feel that it benefits them inside and out. Specifically, users feel it helps them get a more regular period, control their acne, and improve their mood. In particular, Alani Nu Balance might help with otherwise stubborn cystic acne.
It’s an exciting product with many great reviews to back it up.
The Alani Nu Pre Workout supplement has thousands of positive reviews and comes in fun, delicious flavors like Hawaiian Shaved Ice.
- Useful for energy and endurance
- Flavors also include Arctic White and Mimosa
- Includes 200 mg of caffeine and 500 mg of L-tyrosine
- Transparent ingredients
- No fillers
- Users feel it doesn’t affect their hormones like some pre-workouts for women
- A lot of users say it gives them a clean energy boost without making them jittery
Alani Nu is known for its pre-workout products. Pre Workout contains L-theanine to prevent a post-workout crash. It contains L-citrulline malate, which is an amino acid that’s important for energy production, and it’s also important for muscle building.
Beta-alanine is in Pre Workout, a popular supplement among athletes and people who love fitness.
Beta-alanine is a nonessential amino acid. It produces something called carnosine, which can reduce the accumulation of lactic acid in your muscles when you’re working out, which in turn improves athletic performance and helps you get more out of your workout.
Beta-alanine, in studies, has been shown to increase your time to exhaustion and boost performance, especially during high-intensity exercise. It can increase training volume and reduce fatigue when you’re doing resistance training.
Beta-alanine can also enhance the immune system, and it has antioxidant properties.
Pre Workout contains L-tyrosine. L-tyrosine is also an amino acid, and it helps your body produce thyroid hormones, enzymes, and dopamine. Tyrosine can help improve mental alertness and cognitive function and has some anti-depressant effects.
The Alani Nu protein powder is another highly-ranked product.
- Whey protein
- Available in flavors like confetti cake and peanut butter brownie
- Fast digesting
- 23 grams of protein per serving
- Only 118 calories per serving
The Alani Nu protein product has mouth-watering flavors, and it’s a good product to support your muscle growth and recovery. Like the other Alani Nu products, Alani Nu protein is made in a GMP-compliant facility.
One thing we like about this protein is that it contains digestive enzymes, including protease, amylase, lactase, lipase, and cellulose. This will help your gut health, and you’ll be able to absorb and use more of the protein.
Most users say the different flavors of Alani Nu protein powder are delicious, and it’s like having a dessert or treat rather than something good for you.
There are a lot of user reviews that say the Alani Nu protein powder is the favorite protein they’ve ever tried. We should note, however, that some people think the protein powder flavors are too sweet for their liking, which is something to be aware of if you don’t necessarily have a sweet tooth.
If you aren’t sure whether or not Alani Nu protein powder would be a good option for you, it can have significant benefits for women.
You may be able to eat less because getting adequate protein helps you feel fuller for longer. It can provide a steady stream of energy throughout the day without a crash and is great for building lean muscle.
Protein powder is also important for the health and strength of your hair, nails, and skin.
If you’re looking for a delicious energy drink, we love the Alani Nu options, which are sugar-free and great for pre-workout.
- Come in flavors like Cosmic Stardust and Watermelon Wave
- Each has 200 mg of caffeine
- No sugar
- Just ten calories
- Has biotin
- Free of banned substances
There are a lot of great reviews for the energy drinks. Many reviewers say they like the fact that they don’t have sugar and have minimal calories. Many reviews also indicate that Alani Nu energy drinks provide clean energy with no jitters and a mood boost.
Some of the ingredients in the energy drinks aside from caffeine include:
- Taurine: This amino acid is a building block for protein. Taurine may help boost your metabolism, and it can help promote the health of your heart, brain, and immune system.
- Panax root extract: This is a type of ginseng. Ginseng can be stimulating and boost your energy, and it’s also an antioxidant that might reduce inflammation.
- L-carnitine: This amino acid is often used in supplement form. It helps transport fatty acids into your cells, producing energy. L-carnitine helps your cells burn more fat for energy, so it may assist with weight loss. There’s some evidence it can also help improve your exercise performance and recovery, and it may increase the oxygen supply to your muscles.
- Inositol: Inositol is found in some foods, and it’s also used in supplements and Alani Nu energy drinks. It may help improve symptoms of metabolic disorders, and it can improve mood.
- Guarana seed extract: This Alani Nu energy drink ingredient has been shown in research to improve the stimulating effects of caffeine. The two work well together to enhance the effects of both, and they can reduce fatigue, improve focus, and help with weight loss.
This stimulant-free pre-workout can give you the boost you need to power through.
- It helps you maintain energy levels
- Promotes maximum output during workouts
- Provides the fuel to build lean muscle
- Banned-substance tested
- Well-suited to the workout needs of men or women
The Alani Nu Pump product is a stimulant-free pre-workout supplement that can help you feel mentally and physically more energized as you work out. Pump products, including Alani Nu Pump, tend to have ingredients that can increase the blood flow to your muscles.
Some of the ingredients in Pump include:
- L-citrulline: This is a nonessential amino acid often included in pre-workout and pump supplements. L-citrulline helps your body produce nitric oxide. Nitric oxide relaxes your arteries and improves blood flow. L-citrulline may help with athletic performance and muscle-building.
- GlycerPump: Alani Nu Pump contains something called GylcerPump, which is glycerol. Glycerol has been shown to help improve anaerobic and aerobic performance benefits.
- AstraGin: This proprietary Alani Nu ingredient includes a combination of Panax ginseng extract and astragalus. Panax ginseng can be a stimulating mood and focus booster. Astralagus is Chinese herbal medicine. It might boost your immune system and fight viral infections. It can also widen blood vessels to help blood more effectively pump through your body and it can help reduce fatigue.
- Huperzia serrata: Huperzia serrata is a nootropic herb. It is thought to help improve cognition, memory, focus, and attention span. It can cross the blood-brain barrier, unlike many supplements.
According to reviews of Alani Nu Pump, many people feel like this product gives them the energy they want before a tough workout, but they like that they don’t feel shaky or have a racing heart. However, the one big downside we did notice is that some people think it has a chalky texture and doesn’t mix well. We think that could likely be fixed using a blender bottle.
Alani Nu has a top-rated BCAA supplement. Benefits of BCAAs include:
- Highly rated on Amazon
- Good for muscle recovery and hydration
- Helps with workout endurance
- Vegan amino blend
- No calories, no carbs, and no sugar
- Fun, creative flavors
BCAA stands for branched-chain amino acids. BCAAs are essential amino acids your body can’t make, so you must get them from your diet or a supplement from Alani Nu. BCAAs include three different amino acids: leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
There are several well-studied and proven benefits of BCAAs. For example, leucine activates a pathway that stimulates muscle protein synthesis, which is how you build muscles. Taking BCAAs can reduce muscle soreness after your workout, and they reduce muscle damage, so you can enjoy a faster recovery time.
They help with fatigue from exercise and prevent muscle wasting as well. Like so many of Alani Nu’s products, their BCAAs have a lot of great reviews from users. In fact, of all the products we looked at from the brand, we’d say that, on average, the BCAAs had the best customer reviews.
Alani Nu is primarily known for workout supplements, but they also have nutritional supplements. One of our favorites is the Super Greens.
- More than 40 nutrients per serving
- Includes prebiotics, probiotics, and digestive enzymes
- Powder form
- Natural energy boost
- Immune system support
- Farm-to-table nutrition
Even when you eat well, getting all the nutrients you need is challenging, so Super Greens fills in the gaps. It offers nutrition without having to juice everything each day. There are ingredients like wheatgrass and barley grass as well as spirulina. There are also prebiotics, probiotics, and digestive enzymes to help your gut stay healthy.
There’s a lot of versatility in using Super Greens, which we like about this supplement. It has a good flavor, so add it to water or juice or mix it into a smoothie.
According to reviews, the Super Greens product helps people feel generally better, and they believe it has been an important part of fixing their digestive issues. Many users say they tried similar alternatives and returned to Super Greens because it was a better product.
We’d say give Super Greens a try if you deal with stomach issues.
Below are questions to some of the most frequently asked questions people tend to have about the Alani Nu brand and its products.
Why Is the Brand So Expensive?
Some might consider Alani Nu expensive, but you are getting great products. The ingredients are well-researched, and the company goes above and beyond to ensure quality in everything they offer. You know that the owners of the company stand behind their products.
In many pre-workout supplements, energy drinks, and pump products, you might not even know what most ingredients are, much less if they’re safe and effective.
Alani Nu is transparent in all of its ingredients and how they source and use them, which makes it worth the extra cost.
How Long Does Alani Nu Take to Ship?
We’d recommend buying your Alani Nu products on Amazon because most are eligible for Prime shipping. You can also buy Alani Nu at GNC.
How To Tell If Balance Is For You?
Alani Nu Balance is one of the company’s most popular products, and we’ve done a full review. That said, while it’s a great product for some people, it’s not for everyone.
Alani Nu Balance is a supplement designed to support women’s health.
It contains DIM and Myo-inositol, which can help balance women’s hormones. DIM can help prevent the conversion of testosterone into estrogen. Myo-inositol is good for female fertility and can restore sensitivity to insulin.
Balance has folate, which may help with fertility, symptoms of depression, and cardiovascular health. It contains chromium which reduces weight gain in the midsection and helps control blood sugar.
ALA is included in Alani Nu Balance, and it’s been shown to increase insulin sensitivity in women with PCOS or who are overweight.
So, how do you know if Balance is for you?
First, we’d say that the people with the most success using Balance often have PCOS. If you’re struggling with fertility or stubborn weight around your midsection, these could be hormonal issues, and Alani Nu Balance could be helpful. If you have hormonal or cystic acne, you might also find it a useful supplement.
Another situation where you might take Balance is if you struggle with your mood or have difficult periods.
Balance isn’t right for everyone, though, and some people get very bad headaches from using it, likely because of the hormonal effects.
Where Can I Get Balance?
You can buy Balance on Amazon, which is our recommendation. GNC also sells the products, and you may be able to find them in Target or your local Vitamin Shoppe. You can order from the Alani Nu website as well.
What Does Arctic White Taste Like?
One of the ways that Alani Nu has managed to stand out in a crowded supplement landscape is by having delicious, distinctive, and fun flavors. One of their most popular flavors is Arctic White. You can get their energy drinks, pre-workout, and pump supplements in Arctic White.
So what exactly does Arctic White taste like? It’s sweet, and some people find it a light sweetness, but it might be a bit much for you if you don’t love sweet flavors. Some say Arctic White is a bit like a grapefruit Fresca, with a light and clean flavor that hints of citrus.
What Compares to Balance?
We found a few products that might compare somewhat to Alani Nu Balance, including:
- Go With the Flow Hormone Balance for Women from Happy Healthy Hippie
- Genius Estrogen Balance from The Genius Brand
- Women’s Balance from Gaia Herbs
- Your Super Moon Balance Superfood Power
What Does Hawaiian Shaved Ice Taste Like?
Alani Nu Hawaiian Shaved Ice is another favorite flavor, like Arctic Ice. According to customer reviews, it has a light, sweet flavor with a lot of strawberry coming through. Some people get a bit of coconut from the flavor and tartness.
One of our favorite things is supporting supplement brands owned by individuals, which is the case with Alani Nu.
The creator and her husband have expanded their brand significantly and have some great products worth trying—especially the ones we highlighted above.
Our Editorial Process
All of our reviews are completely unbiased. We have an in-depth review and ranking methodology for each of our products. We base our reviews on:
- Peer-reviewed scientific studies and research
- Real customer reviews
- Our own experience using products
- Price and availability
Whenever possible, we review and rank products that we actually use to provide a better understanding of what you can expect.