This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
Super B Complex is a product from Nature Made. Since it is a B vitamin complex, it is good for mental health, including depression and anxiety. We’ll talk below about the Super B Complex and how it can improve mental health.
The Basics of Super B Complex
Super B Complex from Nature Made is a combination of B vitamins. B vitamins help food convert to energy and have several other essential benefits. Super B Complex is one of the top-rated supplements containing all the B vitamins available on Amazon.
Shop This Post
Features of the Super B Complex include:
- It contains a combination of all the essential B vitamins
- Helps with red blood cell formation and protein formation
- Helps support a healthy nervous system
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Doesn’t contain yeast, start or gluten
- Specifically formulated for easy absorption
What Are B Vitamins Good For?
B vitamins are a group of vitamins you can get through diet, but many people need supplements. There are a wide variety of reasons you might not be getting enough B vitamins, including:
- Medical conditions
- Alcohol use
Anytime a supplement has all eight B vitamins, it’s called B-complex or a vitamin B complex.
The vitamins that are contained in Super B Complex and other B-complex products include:
- B1: Also known as thiamin, vitamin B1 is part of our metabolism and converts nutrients into energy.
- B2: Riboflavin converts food into energy and is also an antioxidant.
- B3: Niacin is part of our DNA production, repair, metabolism, and cellular signaling.
- B5: Pantothenic acid helps you get energy from food like other B vitamins and is also part of the production of hormones and cholesterol.
- B6: Also called pyridoxine, vitamin B6 is the most important of these vitamins for mental health. B6 is part of the metabolism of amino acids, plays a role in the production of red blood cells, and helps your brain create neurotransmitters.
- B7: This is biotin, which is part of the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates and regulates gene expression.
- B9: Also called folate, vitamin B9 is part of mental health. It’s needed for the formation of both red and white blood cells and appropriate cell division and growth.
- B12: Cobalamin is needed by the body for neurological health and function, DNA production, and the development of red blood cells.
How Is Super B Complex Good For Mental Health?
B complex vitamins boost energy levels, reduce fatigue and improve mood. There are a number of studies that confirm these benefits. For example, in one study of 215 healthy men, taking a high-dose B-complex supplement improved their overall mental health, reduced stress, and improved performance on cognitive tests.
In another study of young adults, supplementing with B-complex vitamins for 90 days reduced their mental fatigue and stress.
Super B Complex isn’t a cure for mental health conditions, but taking it may help improve symptoms of anxiety or depression.
In a study of 60 adults with depression, a vitamin B complex taken for 60 days led to significant improvements in symptoms of anxiety and depression compared to a placebo.
B vitamins are also found in some research to improve responses to treatment with antidepressant medications.
Low levels of specific B vitamins like B6 and B12 have been associated with a higher risk of depression symptoms.
The specific benefits of B vitamins for mental health include:
- B vitamins help your body produce neurotransmitters that play a role in a positive mood and sense of well-being, including serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine.
- B vitamins are associated with reduced stress measures.
- B vitamins help with homocysteine metabolism, which can reduce the risk of cognitive decline.
- When you have adequate B vitamins, your body can convert food into energy, making you feel more motivated and less tired.
- Having optimal levels of vitamin B3 can help slow down the aging processes that affect the brain.
- The right level of B vitamins helps your body produce hormones, which are a big part of the mood and mental health. B vitamins can help regulate male and female hormones.
Who Should Take Super B Complex?
If you don’t think you’re getting enough B vitamins from your diet alone, you might consider the Super B Complex. Foods with B vitamins include:
- Dark green vegetables
- Beans like chickpeas and kidney beans
- Nuts and seeds
- Nutritional yeast
Symptoms of B vitamin deficiency can include:
- Cracks around the mouth
- Swollen tongue
- Skin rashes
- Abdominal cramps
- Tingling in the hands and feet
If a B vitamin deficiency goes untreated, it raises the risk of anemia, skin conditions, and digestive problems. It can also increase your risk of peripheral neuropathy and infections, and a vitamin B12 deficiency raises the risk of a serious neurological or psychiatric disorder.
You’re most likely to need a vitamin B complex supplement if:
- You don’t eat meat
- You’re pregnant
- You take long-term medications
- You drink a lot of alcohol
- You’re 50 or older
- You have chronic health conditions
- You have digestive health conditions
Are There Risks of Super B Complex?
If you take it as directed, Super B Complex is considered safe because we all need B vitamins. Don’t overdo it with the vitamin supplement, though.
B vitamins are water-soluble, so they aren’t stored in your body, and you excrete excess B vitamins in your urine.
As long as you take a supplement as the instructions tell you, you’re unlikely to get too much B vitamins.
However, taking too much vitamin B6 can lead to peripheral neuropathy, a loss of feeling in your arms and legs. Getting too much folate or folic acid can mask the symptoms of a B12 deficiency, which can eventually damage your nervous system. If you take large amounts of niacin over the long term, it can lead to liver damage.
You want to ensure you’re getting enough B vitamins, but more isn’t necessarily better.
Is Super B Complex good for mental health? Yes. This supplement is excellent for mental health because your body needs B vitamins for the proper functioning of the central nervous system and to make neurotransmitters that are critical to good mental health.