This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
Last modified on September 15th, 2021
The use of collagen supplements has become extremely popular, and one of the top products on the market is the Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Powder. We were curious how the Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen product stacks up. What should you know about the company, the ingredients and most of all, what do Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein reviews say about the product?
An Overview of the Ancient Nutrition
Ancient Nutrition is a company that offers nutrients and vitamins based on what they describe as “traditional Chinese methods.” The Ancient Nutrition company says it’s their goal to offer the value of ancient nutrients in “modern form.” Core principles on which Ancient Nutrition says they build their products include not only Traditional Chinese Herbalism but also Ayurveda.
The company is headed by Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe, both of whom are co-founders and also well-known in the health and supplement worlds. Jordan Rubin is the author of The Maker’s Diet, which is a New York Times Bestseller, and 25 other books. He’s currently working on one called Essential Oils: Ancient Medicine.
Jordan is also the founder of the Garden of Life company and Beyond Organic.
Dr. Josh Axe is a certified doctor of natural medicine, a clinical nutritionist, and a doctor of chiropractic. He also operates the DrAxe.com website, and he’s a best-selling author of books like Eat Dirt and The Real Food Diet Cookbook. Dr. Axe has been featured on the Today Show and The Dr. Oz Show.
The two created a line of products, one of which is Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen.
Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Powder
- Ancient Nutrition is Dr. Axe’s company
- This collagen protein powder has multiple types of collagen so it can help with joint health, skin and nail health, and gut health, according to the makers of the product
- Mix this collagen with water, tea, juice or any beverage to get healthy collagen protein
What Are the Benefits of Taking a Collagen Supplement?
Collagen is a protein found abundantly in mammals. Collagen is responsible for important functions, including structural support of the body’s connective tissue. Collagen is the protein that plays a key role in joint and bone health and skin elasticity as well. Our bodies create natural collagen, but as we age and naturally over time, our body’s production of collagen slows.
The decline in collagen is part of the reason we experience wrinkles as we age—the skin loses elasticity.
Collagen supplements are a form of collagen that’s been broken down into what’s called peptides. Peptides make it easier for the body to absorb the collagen when they use a supplement form. There are capsules and tablets, but frequently, people use collagen powder supplements.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn’t evaluate the claims companies make on the effectiveness of their collagen products, as is the case with other supplements.
Some benefits that people may experience with collagen powder include:
- Better skin health and appearance, including improved elasticity. There is some scientific evidence backing up claims that using collagen supplements and products like Ancient Nutrition’s Multi Collagen product could help thee skin. For example, there was a study in the Journal of Medical Nutrition and Nutraceuticals, and when women drank a mixture that includes collagen among other things, the depth of their wrinkles appeared to be reduced, and their hydration and elasticity improved. Other studies have also shown similar effects.
- Collagen powders such as the Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen powder may help improve joint health. There has been one review looking at the use of collagen supplements that found it did help improve bone density in people with osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
- Some research indicates positive effects of collagen on building muscle mass. Researchers believe collagen may help stimulate the body to produce certain proteins that play a role in muscle growth.
- There have been fairly limited studies thus far, but collagen supplements may help with cardiovascular health. For example, there was a limited study that looked at 30 participants who used collagen supplementation for six months. There was a significant reduction in their “bad” cholesterol levels, and they also had less artery stiffness. Even so, more research is needed into the benefits of collagen for heart health and the cardiovascular system.
Along with the benefits of using a supplement like Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen for more studied reasons, there are other less studied but possible helpful benefits of a collagen supplement.
Some people feel using a collagen supplement helps them with their gut health and in maintaining a healthy weight. People also use collagen powders and supplements as a way to reduce anxiety and boost their mood and promote healthier hair and nail growth.
Mostly Positive Reviews
This collagen protein tends to perform well when you look at user reviews. Many users feel it helps with a variety of symptoms including joint paint, but on the downside, some users feel it causes digestive problems and that it has a bad taste.
What Are the Different Types of Collagen Protein?
You may not realize this, even if you’re already supplementing with collagen, but there are different types. That’s where the “multi” term in the title Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen comes from, which we’ll discuss a bit more when we get into the actual Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein reviews.
There are around 28 identified types of collagen, but then there are three main types that are most commonly used in supplements.
- Type I collagen is the most common type found in the body, and it’s typically considered the best if you’re interested in healthy skin, hair, and nails. Type I collagen is what makes up our skin, bones, organs, and other parts of our body.
- Type II collagen is more specialized and is more geared toward cartilage health. If you supplement with collagen, you may find that it includes bovine cartilage. If you’re most interested in joint health, then looking for a product with type II collagen could be important for you.
- Type III collagen is found in cartilage but also bone marrow.
Type V collagen is what helps the placenta grow in pregnant women, and type X is also in cartilage, and it’s helpful for bone growth and development.
Are There Any Side Effects of Collagen Supplements?
First, whenever you’re thinking about taking a collagen supplement of any kind, speak with your health care provider.
While this isn’t exclusive to the Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein powder, there are mild possible side effects that can occur with collagen supplementation. For example, diarrhea or a sensation of heaviness in the stomach can occur.
Typically there aren’t any major known risks when adults use a collagen supplement, however.
What Is the Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Powder?
The Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Powder is a tasteless and odorless protein powder. According to the makers of the product, it can help promote support of a healthy gut, nails, joints, and skin.
Features of the Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Include:
- 9 grams of protein
- Includes collagen type I, II, III, V and X
- From grass-fed, cage-free and cruelty-free sources
- From four food sources, which are eggshell membrane, fish, chicken, and beef
As with many other types of collagen powders, with this product, it’s recommended that you take it in one of a few different ways. You can add it to coffee in the morning, or a smoothie or another drink. You can also add a scoop to water, or add it to something you’re cooking or baking such as pancakes.
According to makers of this Multi Collagen product, it weighs one pound, and there are 45 servings with a serving size of around one scoop. One scoop is about the same as 10 grams.
What Are the Ingredients in This Multi Collagen Protein Powder?
According to the Ancient Nutrition company, the following are some of the ingredients in the Multi Collagen Protein Powder:
- Hydrolyzed bovine collagen peptides: This comes from grass-fed bovine hide, and it helps support healthy ligaments and tendons, as well as promoting gut health, joint health, and nail health. This ingredient is high in collagen types I and III.
- Chicken bone broth collagen concentrate: The chicken bone broth concentrate is from non-GMO-farmed chickens in the United States. This is a source of type II collagen, and it helps with gut health and joint health, including joint flexibility and comfort.
- Hydrolyzed fish collagen peptides: This is a source of marine collagen, and it is derived from wild-harvested pollack from waters in North America. This fish-based source of protein is high in type I collagen for skin health.
- Eggshell membrane collagen: The eggshell membrane included in Ancient Nutrition’s Multi Collagen is from non-GMO eggs, and it includes types I and V collagen. It’s locally sourced from farms in the U.S., and it is helpful for knee flexibility and comfort, and range of motion.
How Is This Collagen Different?
Multiple Sources of Collagen Protein
One of the most unique things with the collagen protein powder is that it contains multiple sources of key protein. This allows it to have the maximum benefits for health, according to the creators.
What Does the Manufacturer Say About This Collagen Product?
Before looking at Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Reviews, what does the manufacturer say and what do they hope to achieve with this product?
First, this product is intended to be a collagen that allows you to have multiple sources of protein. Otherwise, if you went with a collagen powder from only one source, you would either have to take multiple products or decide between bovine or marine.
Multi Collagen Protein is intended to provide support for the gut, joints, skin, and nails with five food-based sources of collagen.
The following are benefits of Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Powder, according to the company that makes it:
- It’s a consistent top seller among all the Ancient Nutrition products
- Better Nutrition described awarded it “Best Supplement” in 2017 and as the ”Best of Natural Beauty” in 2018
- The benefits of the product may be seen in as few as three weeks including improved gut and joint health and better-looking skin
- Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen is hydrolyzed, which means that it is partially broken down, so the amino acids are easier to absorb
- There’s no filler, and all the ingredients are from natural food sources—there are no chemicals, flavors, or sweeteners in this collagen product
Frequently Asked Questions About This Multi Collagen Powder
There is a list of frequently asked questions about this product from Ancient Nutrition on Dr. Axe’s website, and a few of these are summed up below.
When should Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen be used?
The recommendation is that you use it any time you want, but you should do so consistently
How is this different from other types of collagen protein powders?
The primary benefits of Multi Collagen Protein relate to the fact that it has different types of collagen all in the same product. There are also variations of the Multi Collagen Protein with different ingredients if you have unique health interests. For example, there is a beauty and sleep version that has lavender bergamot. There is a watermelon basil version for what’s called “beauty within,” and there’s a lemon ginger formulation for gut health.
There is an original formulation of Multi Collagen Protein that doesn’t have a taste or odor, and then there are five other flavors also. These are:
- Strawberry lemonade
- Cucumber lime
How Is This Multi Collagen Different from Bone Broth?
Bone broth, as well as bone broth protein, have collagen from a single source, which is usually either beef or chicken broth. Multi Collagen Protein features collagen from different sources.
What Do Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Reviews Say?
If you’re wondering about the Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein reviews, they are somewhat mixed. On Amazon, the original formula with no taste or smell has four out of five stars. Some of the positives reviewers mention about Multi Collagen Protein include:
- It helps joints feel better
- Helps with issues like restless leg
- One reviewer said it helped reduce cellulite
- Some people say it helps with symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis
- One reviewer with a thyroid condition said it has helped with related hair loss
- Some reviewers feel it helped with inflammation and stiffness
What about the not-so-good reviews of Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein?
For the original formulation with no flavor, the primary complaint seems to be the taste and the smell. Other negative Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein reviews focus on the fact that they had an allergic reaction when using it, and they feel like it doesn’t dissolve well. Others feel that it’s a product that wasn’t great for their digestive system. Primarily symptoms they said they experienced included indigestion and bloating.
Final Thoughts—Is Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen a Good Product?
For the most part, the good reviews of this product seem to outweigh the bad. You may have to experiment to find a flavored version that you like if you don’t enjoy the taste and smell of the original version, but beyond that, there are more positives than negatives. It would seem for many people this is a good collagen product, but defer to your health care professional with any questions you may have about this collagen protein or any other supplement.
Helps Promote Beauty and Sleep
There are different variations of the Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Powder that have additives. One option includes lavender bergamot which is great for promoting restful sleep and skin health.
Hydration watermelon and antioxidants.
Collagen protein powder on its own is good for skin health, and this formulation packs extra punch. It features watermelon and basil for flavor, hydration and antioxidants that will fight free radicals and may help the health of your skin.