This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
Last modified on December 9th, 2020
ProstaGenix is a popular supplement touted by Larry King. More than a million have been sold, according to the company. ProstaGenix is intended to help with frequent urination and nighttime bathroom trips. We explore ProstaGenix reviews and everything you should know about this supplement.
- ProstaGenix is a supplement for prostate problems.
- May help reduce urgency and improve urinary flow.
- Might also help with sleep patterns so that you can stay asleep all night.
- Primary ingredient is Beta-Sitosterol, a natural extract that may help with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
What Is ProstaGenix?
Larry King is one of the spokespeople for ProstaGenix, so you may have heard of it. It’s a supplement designed to help with symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH.
BPH is also referred to as prostate gland enlargement. The condition is common among older men.
When you have an enlarged prostate, you may experience uncomfortable symptoms, like blocked urine flow from the bladder.
There are medications for an enlarged prostate gland, as well as surgery and therapies. Some people prefer to try a natural method like ProstaGenix before they go with other options.
If you’re thinking about trying a prostate supplement, talk to your doctor before you do.
Benefits of taking ProstaGenix might include:
- You may be able to empty your bladder without dribbling or leaking.
- Reduces inflammatory prostate molecules to help reduce it to a healthy size.
- Releases urethra from pressure that stops normal urination.
- Relieves frequent nighttime urination.
- Could help restore normal sexual function.
This prostate health supplement includes a combination of natural ingredients, clinically studied.
The primary active ingredient in this supplement is called beta-sitosterol, which is a plant extract. Beta-sitosterol is a type of phytosterol. These are in many plant-based foods.
Beta-sitosterol can lower cholesterol and may reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Beta-sitosterol is also helpful for benign prostatic hyperplasia.
A review of several studies found men taking beta-sitosterol had fewer BPH symptoms than men taking a placebo.
The symptoms were measured based on the American Urological Association.
Men who took beta-sitosterol had improved urine flow compared to men taking a placebo as well.
Taking phytosterols like beta-sitosterol may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
The beta-sitosterol in ProstaGenix is part of a property blend that contains other sterols as well. This is called the BetaRexin Proprietary Sterol Blend.
Is Beta-Sitosterol Safe?
Since beta-sitosterol is the primary ingredient in this supplement, it’s important to consider whether or not it’s safe. There is limited evidence of any major side effects of beta-sitosterol. The primary side effects are mild and linked to digestion.
There’s a proprietary polyphenol blend in this supplement. Polyphenols are the active ingredients in things like green tea, and they may help manage BPH.
The polyphenols in ProstaGenix include grape seed extract, pomegranate extract, and quercetin.
Polyphenols are phytochemicals, which are naturally-occurring in plants.
The prostate has been shown in research to absorb polyphenols more easily than other parts of the body.
Polyphenols have positive benefits, including anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory effects. They are also antioxidants. The anti-inflammatory properties may help reduce prostate swelling.
Along with helping prostate health, polyphenols have several other potential health benefits.
For example, they are beneficial to prevent obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.
Other ProstaGenix Ingredients
Along with beta-sitosterol, there are a few other key ProstaGenix ingredients.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is an important nutrient that many people are deficient in, particularly as they age. Vitamin D is included in this prostate supplement, and there have been some studies that have found an increased risk of prostate cancer in men with vitamin D deficiency.
- Iodine: Iodine deficiency is linked to an increased risk of prostate cancer. Other tissues that require adequate iodine for normal functionality include the pancreas and colon and the ovary, adrenal and salivary glands. Iodine is needed for proper thyroid function and thyroid hormones. Thyroid disease is linked to an increased risk of prostate cancer.
- Zinc: Zinc deficiency may be linked to erectile dysfunction. The zinc in this prostate health supplement could help reverse deficiency and improve erectile function and sexual function. A study in 1996 shows a relationship between testosterone levels and zinc, for example. Taking a supplement with zinc may help improve natural levels of testosterone.
- Selenium: This mineral may be included because research has found that men with higher levels of selenium may have a lower risk of developing prostate cancer.
- Copper: This mineral may help promote prostate health. Copper is currently being looked at for its therapeutic benefits for prostate cancer.
- Chromium: This mineral is often described as the forgotten mineral in terms of nutrition. Chromium has many benefits. It can help promote the action of insulin, for example. Chromium may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and high cholesterol too.
What Do ProstaGenix Reviews Say?
ProstaGenix reviews indicate this is a fairly effective product. On Amazon, more than half of all ProstaGenix reviews are 5-star. Currently 15% are 4-star, and 12% are 3-star. We highlight some of the common things that customers say in their ProstaGenix reviews below.
- Many reviews say the product did have positive benefits for them.
- Specific benefits most people seem to get from the product include less difficult urine flow and improved sexual function.
- Many reviews say that ProstaGenix helped them sleep longer at night.
- According to some customers, they have used many other prostate supplements and not had the results they did with ProstaGenix.
- Some reviews indicate this product works better than prostate supplement alternatives like saw palmetto.
We did notice something as we went through the reviews, and it’s something we notice commonly with many supplements. Many people said it took weeks or more for them to see results. That’s important to note because if you don’t give it enough time, you may not believe the product is effective.
The manufacturers say it may take at least 30 days to start seeing full benefits. It could take up to 90 days for the maximum benefits of the supplement to occur.
As far as the bad reviews of ProstaGenix, there are some to be aware of. The biggest commonality among bad reviews seems to be that some people don’t think the product works.
Some reviewers say that they wouldn’t describe this prostate supplement as great, but it does help.
Overall, based on reviews, we would say the results are mixed. Some love it, and some feel it’s ineffective.
Are There Any Side Effects?
We didn’t find any evidence of major ProstaGenix side effects. We primarily explored the potential side effects of beta-sitosterol since it’s one of the main ingredients. Most of the other ingredients are vitamins and nutrients.
Beta-sitosterol is classified as being likely safe when taken by mouth.
Mild side effects are possible such as nausea, diarrhea, or constipation.
Two medicines may interact with beta-sitosterol that we know of.
The first is Zetia, which can reduce how much beta-sitosterol the body absorbs and make the supplement less effective. The second is Pravachol. It might also decrease how much beta-sitosterol is in the body. That can decrease the effectiveness of a supplement like ProstaGenix.
Where to Buy ProstaGenix
You can buy ProstaGenix through the company, but also on Amazon. Buying it on Amazon gives you access to Prime Shipping and other benefits.
If you order it through the manufacturer, they say it can take anywhere from 5 to 10 days to receive your order, depending on your location.
What Is BPH?
BPH and other prostate problems can become more common as you age. Prostate problems are especially common in men after the age of 50.
The prostate is a gland that makes semen.
It’s below the bladder, in front of the rectum.
As you get older, it grows larger. When it’s too large, your prostate can cause health problems.
Benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH is the most common prostate problem. BPH indicates your prostate is enlarged but not cancerous.
If you have BPH, you can watch and wait to see if your symptoms get worse. Your doctor will often want to follow this plan.
Some medicines can relax muscles near the prostate or shrink the prostate.
Symptoms of prostate problems include:
- Frequent urge to urinate
- The need to get up throughout the night to urinate
- Urine with semen or blood
- Burning or painful urination
- Painful ejaculation
- Stiffness or pain in the lower back, hips, pelvis, or rectal area
- Urine dribbling
Other things that can lead to prostate-related symptoms in men are:
- Urinary tract infections
- Prostate inflammation, also called prostatitis
- Narrowing of the urethra
- Scarring in the bladder because of a previous surgery
- Kidney or bladder stones
- Nerve problems
- Prostate or bladder cancer
Along with age, family history can put you at increased risk for enlargement of your prostate gland. Other risk factors are diabetes and heart disease and lifestyle. For example, being obese increases the likelihood of BPH but exercising can reduce the risk.
Prostate health is something that’s important for many men. According to Prostagenix reviews, this may be a good product to try. Most of the beneficial effects are because of beta-sitosterol, which has been clinically studied. We encourage you to speak to your health care provider to determine if Prostagenix could be a good prostate supplement for your needs.
 Wilt TJ, et al. (1999). Beta-sitosterols for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (3).