This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
Last modified on November 16th, 2022
Natrol Melatonin options are among the most popular melatonin supplements on Amazon. So, how effective are they, and what should you know? We cover the different types of Natrol Melatonin, the differences in each, and everything you should know about choosing a melatonin supplement in general. It should be noted, along with being top-rated, these melatonin products are also inexpensive and are a great value.
- Our body’s natural production of melatonin declines as we age
- Melatonin supplements can help regulate sleep patterns
- Natrol Melatonin is one of the top-ranked and least expensive brands
- There are different products, including Natrol Melatonin Fast Dissolve and Natrol Melatonin Advanced formulations
Types of Natrol Melatonin
- 1 mg of melatonin
- 200 fast-dissolve tablets in each bottle
- More than 6,000 Amazon reviews
- 5-star average rating
- Save 50% when you buy 2
- Faster absorption with the strawberry quick-dissolve formula
- No water needed
The one mg dose of melatonin might be a little low for some people, but for others, according to reviews, it works really well. People, in particular, seem to find this melatonin is useful if they have an anxiety disorder and that’s part of the reason they can’t sleep.
- Quick-dissolve formula
- No water required
- Strawberry flavored
- Top-rated among melatonin supplements on Amazon
- 3 mg dose is in the middle as far as potency
- Non-habit forming
- May help with anxiety and balancing your mood
- It can help boost your immune system
This is a dose of Natrol melatonin somewhere in the middle. Like the other Natrol sleep aids, it’s very highly rated among users.
- High-dose, maximum strength formula
- Has more than 16,000 ratings on Amazon, most of which are positive
- Amazon’s choice for Natrol melatonin
- Can help with establishing better sleep patterns
- Natrol is the top melatonin brand in the country
- Fast-dissolve formula helps improve absorption
The Natrol 10 mg Melatonin is a popular product; if comparing ratings, it’s the most popular of the Natrol sleep aid products available.
- Drug-free formulation
- Includes vitamin B6
- Time-release so you can stay asleep for longer
- 2-layer tablet with an outer layer that releases melatonin initially so you can fall asleep, and then the inner layer releases melatonin to help you stay asleep
- Helps with establishing normal sleep patterns
- More than 7,300 reviews, many of which are positive
- According to reviews, people say that even if they wake up in the middle of the night, having taken this supplement helps them fall back asleep quickly
The biggest thing to focus on with Natrol Melatonin Advanced Sleep Tablets is that this may be the best product for you if your problem isn’t just falling asleep but staying asleep. This is thanks to the time-release element of the melatonin.
This product also contains vitamin B6, which helps support your body’s natural production of melatonin.
Natrol Melatonin Gummies
Along with the above products, there are also Natrol Melatonin Gummies. The Natrol Melatonin Gummies are available in 5 mg and 10 mg doses. They are similar to the capsules.
There’s also Natrol Kids Melatonin, which is a gummy as well, and an easily absorbed liquid version.
What is Melatonin?
Melatonin is a hormone. It plays a role in our sleep cycles. Melatonin release in the brain is linked to the time of day.
We are naturally wired to have increasing melatonin levels when it’s dark. Then, our melatonin levels should naturally decrease when it’s light out.
Melatonin is a commonly used supplement as well. Some people use it for jet lag and insomnia. Melatonin can also be used for anxiety.
Benefits of Melatonin
Some of the benefits of melatonin that seem to be proven and backed up by research include:
- Melatonin can help improve circadian rhythm sleep disorders in children and adults with blindness. It can also help with sleep-wake cycle disturbances in children with various disabilities.
- There is a condition called delayed sleep phase or delayed sleep-wake phase sleep disorder. Your sleep pattern, if you have this condition, is delayed by two or more hours from a normal sleep pattern. Then, you go to sleep later and wake up later. Melatonin can reduce the time it takes to fall asleep and help with improving the sleep cycle.
- Insomnia is one of the biggest reasons people take melatonin supplements. There is evidence melatonin can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- Melatonin has shown modest benefits in helping with symptoms of jet lag.
- Some research indicates melatonin might improve daytime sleep quality in people who work different schedules than traditionally working from morning to evening.
- There have been a few studies that have found melatonin is helpful to reduce anxiety in certain situations, particularly before surgery. We don’t currently know much about whether it works for generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks, or social anxiety.
- There are a few small, mixed studies of melatonin that have shown it may help with some cancer symptoms or side effects of cancer treatment.
Other possible benefits of melatonin use include seasonal affective disorder (SAD), benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, and autism spectrum disorder.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Melatonin?
Melatonin is considered to be a safe supplement, although you should speak to your doctor before you take it.
You should only use it in the short-term, and it does promote sleep.
You should also take it in the directed dosages.
There are a few cons to be aware of with melatonin, however.
Less common but more serious melatonin side effects include:
- Short-term depression
- Abdominal cramps
- Low blood pressure
- Daytime drowsiness
Melatonin supplements may interact with certain medicines, including:
- Anti-platelet and anticoagulants
- Diabetes medicines
- Medicines that suppress the immune system
What to Know About Taking Melatonin
Whether you’re taking Natrol Melatonin or another brand, it’s important to follow a few tips when taking it.
You should also time it properly. For example, plan to take melatonin around two hours before bed.
If you’re using melatonin for jet lag, start taking it a few days before your trip. Take the melatonin two hours before your typical bedtime will be in your new location.
Be cautious of side effects, and wait at least five hours after taking melatonin to drive or operate machinery.
For example, the blue light emitted from phones and TV screens can interfere with your body’s natural melatonin production. Try to turn screens off several hours before bed, and you might consider wearing glasses or goggles that block out blue light if you’re having significant sleep problems.
If you’ve never taken melatonin before, you should start with a small dose. See how that goes, and then work your way up if you need to.
Some people wonder if it’s safe to take melatonin every night and the short answer is that we don’t know for sure. Doctors and researchers believe melatonin is safe and non-habit forming, but with chronic use, there aren’t any good-quality studies available right now that let us say for certain that it’s safe.
However, no evidence says it’s unsafe to take every night, and we do have melatonin naturally in our bodies every day anyway.
While there doesn’t seem to be an overdose risk associated with melatonin, taking too much or taking a high dose increases the risk of side effects.
Taking melatonin long-term could also impact your circadian rhythm, so for some people, melatonin is best as a short-term solution.
If you took melatonin at the wrong time of day, it could alter your biological clock. Make sure you’re only taking it as you’re close to being ready for bed.
Can Kids Take Melatonin?
Some children may benefit from melatonin, such as kids with ADHD, autism, and neurodevelopmental disorders.
In children with these disorders, time-released melatonin may work especially well to help them stay asleep throughout the night.
Otherwise, if your child is having a hard time falling asleep, there may be an underlying reason why or a condition that your doctor can diagnose.
As is the case with adults who take melatonin, there’s no large-scale evidence to suggest melatonin isn’t safe for kids, but at the same time, there are no studies that show that it is. This is why it’s important so speak with your doctor.
Natrol Melatonin Frequently Asked Questions
The following are answers to some of the common questions you may have about Natrol Melatonin.
What Are the Benefits of Natrol Melatonin?
Natrol Melatonin is a top-ranked brand. Taking Natrol Melatonin can help with symptoms of insomnia. It can help you regulate your sleep-wake cycles, and it can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
Some people also take Natrol Melatonin for other purposes, including for stress relief and anxiety.
How Much Xylitol is in Natrol Melatonin?
Some people wonder how much Xylitol is in Natrol Melatonin. While it may vary depending on the specific product and melatonin dosage, Natrol doesn’t list how much xylitol is in their products. Instead, it’s just listed as one of the inactive ingredients.
Xylitol is often used as a sugar substitute in sugar-free products. It’s a naturally-occurring, plant-based alcohol.
For most people, xylitol is no problem. If a dog eats something with xylitol in it, however, it can be toxic. Keep this in mind. Even small amounts of xylitol can be very dangerous for a dog.
How Long Does Natrol Melatonin Last?
How long Natrol Melatonin lasts depends on a few different factors. First, there is the dosage. A higher dosage of Natrol Melatonin such as 5 mg or 10 mg is likely to last longer for most people than a smaller dosage.
Perhaps even more important than the dosage is the type of Natrol Melatonin you take. If you have problems not just falling asleep, but staying asleep throughout the night, consider the Natrol Fast Dissolve Melatonin products. These are designed to release initially and then slowly throughout the night. They help with both falling and staying asleep.
Where to Buy Natrol Melatonin?
You can buy Natrol Melatonin products on Amazon, which is our top choice. When you buy Natrol Melatonin on Amazon, you can browse the reviews and compare each of the different products to find what will work best for you. You can also take advantage of Prime Shipping benefits.
You can also purchase Natrol Melatonin through drug store retailers like Walgreens. If you click here and use our code, there is currently a special that Walgreen is offering. You can buy one and get one 50% off for Natrol vitamins and supplements.
How Do You Take Natrol Melatonin?
You should plan to take melatonin around two hours before you plan to go to bed. Start with a small dose if you’ve never taken melatonin before and work your way up if you need to. Don’t drive or operate machinery for at least five hours after taking melatonin.
Melatonin is a popular supplement with scientifically proven benefits. If you’re looking for a well-reviewed brand that seems to be effective and inexpensive, Natrol is a great option. While you should always speak to your doctor before taking melatonin, we feel comfortable recommending Natrol Melatonin products with your doctor’s approval.