This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
Marine collagen is a type of protein that comes from fish skin, and it’s hypoallergenic. There are a number of benefits of marine collagen, which we’ll explore, after ranking our picks for the top 7 best marine collagen supplements of 2020.
Top 7 Marine Collagen Supplements
The following are our selections for the top-rated marine collagen supplements, based on factors such as customer reviews and the quality of the manufacturing process used to create each.
Best Marine Collagen #1:
- Marine collagen peptides sourced from North Atlantic wide-caught fished
- Enzymatically processed to ensure the peptides stay intact
- Single-ingredient from a transparent source
- Includes anti-aging amino acids to help support healthy, beautiful skin, nails and hair
- Hydrolyzed for maximum bioavailability
- Non-GMO ingredients
- Odorless, flavorless and easy to mix
- Helps promote strong bones and joints
- Provides a good source of protein for paleo and keto diets
- Recover from activity faster
- Helps boost lean-muscle building
Best Marine Collagen #2:
- Vital Protein Marine Collagen is one of the best-rated brands for this product
- 12 grams of collagen per serving
- Sourced from wild-caught fish
- Free of added sugar
- No gluten or dairy
- Can be used in both hot and cool liquids—soluble even in cold liquids
- Supports healthy skin and hair
- Joint support
Best Marine Collagen #3:
- Helps replace the collagen that we start to lose at the age of 30
- Non-GMO Project Verified
- Sustainably sourced from the skin of wild-caught fish
- High in amino acids and proteins
- Hydrolyzed so it’s easily absorbed and can dissolve in both hot and cold liquids
- Includes a 90-day money-back guarantee
- According to reviews it helps reduce wrinkles and joint discomfort
- No fishy taste
Best Marine Collagen Supplement #4:
- 100% wild-caught fish in the North Atlantic
- Source of type 1 and 3 collagen
- Includes 18 different amino acids
- Pure collagen with no additives, sulfites or preservatives
- Hypoallergenic and hydrolyzed for more bioavailability and absorption
- Made in a cGMP facility in the U.S.
- Mixes into both hot and cold liquids
- Reviews say the product helps their hair grow fast and strong
- According to reviews, it’s completely tasteless
Best Marine Collagen Supplement #5:
- Made with premium wild-caught deep-sea fish from the Atlantic
- Uses only fish skin rather than fish scales
- Microparticle size helps improve absorption for the best results
- Gentle on the digestive system
- Sustainably-sourced fish are used to make this marine collagen
- Tasteless and odorless
- People say that it helps their skin look younger and improves hair growth and nail health
Best Marine Collagen Supplement #6:
- 8Greens Marine Collagen supplement is a great way to get vital nutrition easily
- Includes marine collagen, biotin and 8 essential real greens including broccoli, kale, spinach, aloe, and green tea
- High in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- Collagen peptides are made from wild-caught deep-sea cod
- Formula may replenish up to 70% of Type I collagen
- No sugar and only 10 calories
- Take it on the go with effervescent tablets that you can add to water
- Take it up to two times a day for beautiful skin, hair, and nails
Best Marine Collagen Supplement #7:
- Pure hydrolysate with no added colors or flavors
- Tasteless and mixes easily with anything
- Includes pure Type I hydrolyzed collagen
- Created in France and packaged in California
- Can help strengthen the lining of the digestive tract and heal the gut
- Made from wild-caught fish from France
- Gluten and GMO-free
- According to reviews, this doesn’t have a fishy taste
What Is Marine Collagen?
Marine collagen, also called marine collagen peptides, is a wonderful supplement, and it’s gotten a lot of buzz lately for the many benefits.
Marine collagen comes from fish skin. The fish skins that are leftover from food production are taken and washed. They’re then hydrolyzed by acid and an enzyme to make marine collagen peptides. Marine collagen peptides are easily digested and absorbed.
Many types of pure marine collagen peptides are made up of Types I and III collagen. Type I and III collagen are good for hair and nail health and growth, as well as skin hydration and elasticity. They also support joint health and bones.
Collagen is the protein that occurs most abundantly in our bodies, but each year we produce less and less of it, which is why it’s so common to see people taking it in supplement form.
As your natural collagen production declines and existing collagen breaks down, you can often see the effects on your skin, and feel the effects in your bones and joints. If you have low levels of collagen, you may also find that you deal with digestive problems, an increased risk of chronic illness and a weak immune system.
When you take a pure marine collagen supplement, your body breaks the collagen down into specific amino acids. There are 18 amino acids in pure marine collagen, which are each absorbed and used by your body. Of the nine amino acids considered essential, marine collagen contains eight of them.
Some of the amino acids most prevalent in marine collagen include hydroxyproline, glycine, and proline.
What Are the Benefits of Marine Collagen?
The benefits of marine collagen are primarily beauty-related, but there are also other benefits, such as helping promote healthier joints and improving mobility.
Collagen is our body’s most abundant protein. Collagen is located in our blood vessels, skin, bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Collagen is integral to maintaining our structural integrity.
Each year, however, we produce, on average 1% less collagen, and most of us don’t get a lot of replacement from dietary sources.
That’s where marine collagen can be beneficial. The following are some of the specific benefits of marine collagen, such as Vital Proteins marine collagen.
Marine Collagen Benefit #1: Absorbable and Bioavailable
One of the primary benefits of marine collagen, even over some other types of collagen supplements, is how bioavailable it is. Marine collagen has the lowest molecular weight among all types of collagen and the smallest particle size.
What this means is that when you take pure marine collagen, it can pass through the wall of the intestines and go into the bloodstream more easily, providing more nourishment, healing and repair.
Marine collagen is absorbed as much as 1.5 times more efficiently than other collagen.
Marine Collagen Benefit #2: Type I Collagen
Pure marine collagen is primarily type I collagen. There are dozens of different types of collagen in our body, but type I is the most abundant.
Type I collagen is a key part of the health of much of our bodies, including our skin, bones, teeth, and muscles.
Marine Collagen Benefit #3: Skin Health and Appearance
When you read reviews for some of the top marine collagen products, you’ll find that one of the areas people feel they’re most effective is improving the appearance of their skin.
Over time as we age and our collagen production goes down, that makes our faces look less smooth and plump.
Taking a collagen supplement can help renew the vitality of your skin.
For example, it increases the cells in the skin that produce collagen.
Clinical trials looking at the benefits of marine collagen have found that when it’s used as a supplement, study participants had fewer wrinkles and saw improvements in both skin firmness and hydration.
Specific skin benefits of marine collagen also include improved elasticity, more sebum production, and boosts in collagen density.
Marine Collagen Benefit #4: Gut Health
Gut health is a huge issue right now, and so many of us suffer from leaky gut without even realizing it. When you have leaky gut, foreign particles and toxins can escape your gut lining and enter your bloodstream. The result is increased inflammation and potentially autoimmune disease.
One of the benefits of marine collagen is the fact that it promotes gut health and support, largely thanks to the amino acids it contains.
Glutamine and glycine are two specific amino acids that are believed to help the lining of the digestive tract.
Glycine is also great for reducing inflammation, which is good for any inflammatory digestive or gut health issue.
Marine Collagen Benefit #5: Bone Strength
There is an animal study that found pure marine collagen may help your body absorb calcium and phosphorus as well as other minerals that are essential for bone strength. When your body can absorb these minerals, then it activates osteoblasts. Osteoblasts are bone cells that synthesize and mineralize your bones.
Marine Collagen Benefit #6: Improved Sleep Quality
Aside from healing your gut and promoting gut health, another marine collagen benefit that comes from the amino acids is the ability to improve your sleep quality. In particular, glycine helps support good sleep quality.
Marine Collagen Benefit #7: Muscle-Building
Building lean muscle mass is important for men and women. Having lean muscle helps your body burn calories more effectively, and glycine, one of the amino acids in pure marine collagen, helps promote your body’s building of lean muscle mass.
Marine Collagen Benefit #8: It’s Environmentally Friendly
One of the perhaps unintended benefits but no less valuable is the fact that marine collagen is eco-friendly. Around 60% of fish byproducts become waste, but marine collagen puts them to use, so that doesn’t happen. Fish skin is incredibly beneficial for your health and rich in collagen, and with the use of marine collagen products, you’re helping reduce pollution at the same time.
Marine Collagen Benefit 9: Blood Sugar Support
Because of the high levels of glycine in pure marine collagen, there are benefits of taking one of these supplements for blood sugar. Low levels of glycine, an amino acid, are linked to impaired tolerance for glucose, which means that low glycine may lead to insulin resistance. Insulin resistance can lead to diabetes.
Marine Collagen Benefit #10: Weight Management
When you take a marine collagen supplement, it can help you lose or maintain weight. Marine collagen doesn’t have carbs, fat or sugar, but it can help you feel full for longer, suppressing your appetite.
Marine Collagen Benefit #11: Brain Health
Most of our brains feel like they could use a boost, and taking a marine collagen supplement may help.
Since glycine makes up a big chunk of the amino acid in collagens, it may help your brain focus and calm down.
Marine Collagen Benefit #12: Thyroid Health
Many women and men struggle with thyroid issues. Collagen can help by balancing the proteins in your body. That can then help your liver convert your thyroid hormone into active T3 because your blood cortisol levels are being lowered.
Are There Side Effects of Taking a Marine Collagen Supplement?
Taking a marine collagen supplement tends to be side-effect-free for most people. The same is true of bovine collagen, which along with the benefits of collagen, is likely one of the reasons these supplements have become so popular.
In fact, many types of marine collagen are hypoallergenic and well-tolerated by even people with food intolerances or sensitivities. With that being said, always consult your doctor before taking a pure marine collagen supplement.
Some people have reported mild bloating when taking collagen supplements, but that’s about it.
Of course, if you have a fish allergy, you should not take a marine collagen supplement.
How to Choose the Best Marine Collagen Supplement
If you’re looking for the best marine collagen supplement or any collagen supplement in general, the most important factors to consider are:
- Is the marine collagen made from wild-caught sources? This is an important factor when choosing the best marine collagen supplement because you want to be as eco-friendly as possible and wild-caught, non-GMO fish mean your collagen is going to be sustainably produced.
- Does the marine collagen have an odor or taste? These can be off-putting, so read the reviews carefully and make sure the product doesn’t smell or taste very fishy.
- Look at the profile of amino acids and in particular glycine, proline, and hydroxyproline.
- Choose pure marine collagen without additives.
Marine vs. Bovine Collagen
Bovine collagen is another popular type of supplement, so how do marine vs. bovine collagen compare to one another?
The main difference is where these products are sourced from. Bovine collagen is from cowhides, and marine collagen is from fish scales and skin.
Another difference when comparing marine vs. bovine collagen is the fact that marine collagen is primarily Type I. Bovine collagen is usually a combination of Type I and III. Type III has similarities to Type I, and both are located in our skin and organs. Type III, like Type I, helps gut health and promotes skin elasticity.
If your biggest goal of taking a collagen supplement is to help your skin, then you probably want to take marine collagen.
There’s some evidence marine collage is also more absorbable than bovine collagen.
Summing Up—Marine Collagen Benefits
If you don’t already include a marine collagen supplement in your routine, it might be time to start. Marine collagen benefits are immense and brands like Vital Proteins Marine Collagen offer great products. Marine collagen benefits include improving the look and health of your skin, healing your gut, reducing inflammation and helping you lose weight and build muscle.