This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
Last modified on December 24th, 2022
If you spend any time on social media and especially Instagram, you may have seen influencers touting a product called Modere Trim. Modere Trim is supposed to be a weight loss supplement, but we’re always skeptical of those types of products.
It’s difficult to lose weight with a supplement alone. We decided to take a closer look at Modere Trim, including Modere Trim before and after reviews from customers. Below we cover everything you should know Modere Trim before and after spending money on this product.
Image Source: Amazon
What Is Modere Trim?
According to the Modere company, the Modere Trim product can:
- Prevent fat storage
- Improve muscle tone
- Make your skin look more youthful
- Reduce the formation of fat cells
The Modere Trim product contains a combination of CLA, which is supposed to help speed up the reduction of fat, and a collagen matrix to improve muscle tone and skin appearance. The Modere company says Trim is the only product to combine these two elements.
- There is no sugar in Trim, and it comes in various flavors like lemon, vanilla, coconut lime, and chocolate.
- The idea of Trim is that you’re getting the benefits of CLA, which could reduce fat reduction, and what the company calls a Collagen/HA Matrix to improve skin and muscle tone.
- Modere says that CLA, which is plant-derived linoleic acid, can reduce body fat, but they specify that you also need to combine it with a healthy exercise and diet program.
- According to Modere, CLA can block fat from being transported into fat cells from the bloodstream, reducing fat cell formation.
Modere Trim Ingredients
The Modere Trim ingredients in Modere Trim are listed as a proprietary blend. We detail what’s in that blend below. In total, each serving of Trim has 5 grams of this proprietary blend.
Conjugated Linoleic Acid
Conjugated linoleic acid is a key ingredient in Modere Trim, and it comes from safflower seed oil.
Also known as CLA, it’s a fatty acid that is found in dairy and meat and is also frequently used as a weight-loss supplement.
Linoleic acid is the most common type of omega-6 fatty acid. It’s in the technical sense a trans-fat, but it’s naturally occurring and is different from industrial trans fats.
Researchers first discovered the health benefits of CLA when they found that it could combat cancer in mice. Later on, researchers found that it can also potentially reduce your levels of body fat. It’s one of the most well-studied weight loss supplements available.
With that being said, Modere Trim results have been somewhat mixed.
Possible benefits of CLA for weight loss include:
- It may help reduce food intake and stimulate fat breakdown as well as preventing fat production. That was found primarily in animal studies.
- Some studies in humans have found CLA can help with fat loss and improving body composition by increasing muscle mass and reducing body fat.
- While there are some studies showing positive effects for weight and fat loss in animals and humans, there are also studies that have shown no effect.
- It seems that when CLA does help with fat loss, the effects are seen primarily in the first six months of use, and then they start to plateau after that.
There are possible risks of taking CLA in supplement form to be aware of. Studies have found large supplemental doses of CLA can cause fat to accumulate in your liver. That can, in turn, lead to diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
There are also studies showing CLA can increase inflammation, lower good HDL cholesterol and cause insulin resistance. These are side effects seen at very high doses but are still something to be aware of.
Even using moderate doses of CLA as a supplement could cause side effects like oxidative stress, insulin resistance, and diarrhea.
Another ingredient in Trim is called Liquid BioCell, which is chicken sternal cartilage extract.
Liquid BioCell is a patented collagen matrix available from Modere. It is collagen that contains superfoods and resveratrol to help with joint mobility and comfort and healthier skin and connective tissue.
Benefits of BioCell can include healthier hair, nails, gums and eyes, improved cardiovascular health, and reduced wrinkle appearance.
Collagen supplements like BioCell have become very popular in recent years. Collagen is your body’s most abundant protein, and it is a major component of connective tissues that make up body parts, including ligaments, tendons, skin and muscles.
Studies have shown that taking collagen supplements can help slow the aging of your skin. Some research has found taking modere supplement can help stimulate your body’s own production of collagen.
In studies, collagen supplements have been shown to help boost muscle mass, and they might help your gut health, brain health, and the health of your hair and nails.
Image Source: Amazon
What’s the Deal with the Modere Company?
I first saw Modere products on Instagram, where influencers were touting their collagen. I like collagen supplements, and I think they have benefits, but when so many influencers are talking about the exact same product at the same time, it makes me suspicious.
I looked into the company a bit.
First, Modere bills itself as a clean label company that sells a lot of different products, including health and wellness items like Trim and household products. You can place a single order, or you can subscribe. When you subscribe, you get a better price, but then you have to go through the hassle of canceling.
Modere is sort of a Multi-Level Marketing Company (MLM). I know sort of is a confusing term, but there are two sides to the business structure. There’s affiliate marketing, which is what you see on Instagram. That’s given the fancy name of social retail by the Modere company. Social marketers sell the products.
If you’re a customer, you can go through the company directly to buy the products, or you can buy from someone who provides you an affiliate link. Then, the person with the link that you use gets a commission for the referral. You have to buy in to become a social marketer, however, which is where it’s more like an MLM.
You can make money off other people signing up through your links, and there is a premise of team building that Modere uses, but you don’t have to recruit people.
I researched the Modere company on the Better Business Bureau website and found quite a few complaints.
There were a lot of complaints from customers saying they were signed up for the auto-ship service after their first order when they didn’t want that. It took many people several calls to get their information removed from auto-ship.
People say that they continue to get marketing emails from the company, and they can’t find any way to unsubscribe.
We saw complaints from people who said there were fraudulent charges from the company.
Customer service seems non-existent.
We also found that some people felt the Modere products gave them side effects, which we’ll go into a little more detail about below.
Beyond the above issues, we also found that Modere is an old company that went through years of controversies and legal battles and rebranded just a few years ago.
The company was called Neways. It was a network marketing company founded in 1987. Throughout the years, they had to take several of their products off the market because they contained ingredients the FDA said were dangerous.
Modere Trim Reviews—What Do Customers Say?
The majority of Modere reviews Trim we could find seem to indicate the product is not effective. We looked through reviews on third-party sites selling it, blogs and review sites, and also on Reddit.
Along with most Modere reviews Trim indicating it’s not effective, many people also said that they experienced side effects, including severe diarrhea. That’s probably because it impacts fat absorption, so instead of absorbing it, you’re excreting it through your bowels.
Even outside of the Trim formulation specifically, CLA is associated with side effects. We touched on them above, but these can include:
- CLA is metabolized primarily in the liver, and it can cause liver toxicity as a Modere Trim result.
- Large doses can cause fat to build up in the liver, which can contribute to fatty liver disease, metabolic syndrome and diabetes.
- CLA may slow blood clotting, especially if you’re taking other medicines like NSAIDs that enhance this effect. That means you might be susceptible to easy bleeding and bruising.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following are answers to some of the questions people most commonly have about Modere Trim.
How Does Modere Trim Work?
The idea behind Modere Trim is that it can prevent the buildup and accumulation of fat cells in the body. It has an ingredient called CLA which has been shown in some studies to help with fat loss, but in other studies, it’s not been shown to have any effects.
Modere Trim also has a collagen complex which could help with joint pain and stiffness, hair and nail health and growth, and the appearance of skin.
The Modere company also claims that Trim can help improve muscle tone and support fat metabolism.
How Do You Use Modere Trim?
You’re supposed to take a tablespoon of Trim every morning. You can add it to your food or beverages.
Modere Trim, What Do You Mix It With?
You can mix Modere Trim with pretty much anything. You can add it to coffee, water, juice, a smoothie, or something like oatmeal.
How Much Is Modere Trim?
If you buy Trim directly from the Modere website, the price per bottle is $99.99. It’s incredibly expensive, and a bottle only has just over 15 ounces.
How Long Does Modere Trim Take to Work?
We looked at independent information from users, and we found that for people who did feel Modere Trim is effective, they started losing weight after a few months of consistently taking it. If it is going to work, it’s not going to have an overnight effect, which is important to remember. Some people notice modest weight loss after taking it for a few weeks.
How Many Times a Day Can You Take Modere Trim?
You should only take this product once a day.
Can You Take Modere Trim When Pregnant?
We do not recommend taking Modere Trim when pregnant. We recommend that before you take absolutely any modere supplement when you’re pregnant or breastfeeding that you speak to your doctor first.
What is In Modere Trim?
The ingredients include a proprietary blend of something called CLA along with a collagen matrix. CLA is an omega-6 fatty acid and in some studies it has been found to help with weight loss but in others, it hasn’t shown any benefit. A collagen matrix supplement may help skin and joint health.
How Many Carbs in Modere Trim?
There are 2 grams of carbs per tablespoon of Trim in the lemon flavor and the coconut lime flavor. In some flavors, there are more carbs. For example, the apple crumble has 3 grams of carbs per tablespoon and 50 calories.
Can You Buy Modere On Amazon?
If you want to buy any Modere products, including Trim, they are available on Amazon, but that comes with a word of warning. You should buy it directly from the company if you are going to try it, for several reasons.
First, when you buy from Amazon, you have no way of knowing if the product is fresh or if it’s expired. The product can be sitting around for a long time when you go through a third-party seller.
Modere offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on their products, and you don’t get that when you buy through Amazon either.
Plus, it’s possible that if you purchase from Amazon, you could be getting a counterfeit product.
Do We Recommend Modere Trim?
So here’s our recommendation—don’t buy Modere Trim.
There are a lot of reasons we advise against buying it including:
- It’s expensive. Modere Trim costs nearly $100 a bottle. You might also be inadvertently enrolled in the Modere auto-ship program.
- The ingredients in Trim are part of a proprietary blend. We don’t like proprietary blends most of the time for a lot of reasons. First, you don’t know how much of each ingredient you’re getting. Proprietary blends can also contain a lot of ineffective filler ingredients.
- The company makes huge claims about the effects of Modere Trim, and most of those aren’t proven or backed by research.
- The key ingredient in Modere Trim is CLA. In some studies, it has been shown to have modest weight loss benefits, but many other studies have shown no benefits at all.
- CLA might not be helpful for weight loss, and it can also potentially have serious side effects like liver toxicity and the accumulation of fat in the liver.
- Modere Trim is structured like an MLM.
- We see a lot of influencers pushing these products on social media without disclosing that it’s an ad or affiliate program or even saying the brand name of the product. Deceptive advertising is a red flag.
- There are a number of complaints on the BBB site about the products and the company.
- Most reviews for Modere Trim are not favorable.
Save your money on this product.