Last modified on February 15th, 2023
Why is Athletic Greens so expensive? This is a question I hear a lot, so I decided to do a deep dive into the dietary supplement. Below, I’m going to break down everything you should know before you buy Athletic ag1 greens, including its supposed benefits, how much it costs, and what’s in it.
I’ll also give you a couple of Athletic ag1 greens alternatives if you want a green drink powder with a lower price tag.
What Is Athletic Greens?
Athletic ag1 greens is a product you might have seen being touted and advertised by your favourite Instagram influencers. Joe Rogan also advertises it on his Podcast. Tim Ferriss promotes it often, and there are a lot of positive reviews from regular people.
Also known as AG1, the product aims to give you all the nutrition you need in a bioavailable powder form.
The product has 75 vitamins, minerals, and nutrients sourced from whole foods. You mix it with water so that it can be absorbed by your body in the most effective, efficient way. You need to just add one scoop or travel packet to eight ounces of water, and it’s vegan, paleo and keto-friendly.
There’s no added sugar, eggs, nuts, or dairy included in this combination of highly absorbable ingredients.
The new AG1 formulation of organic ingredients includes:
- Vitamins and minerals—the balance of essential nutrients is intended to help strengthen your nervous system and immune system.
- Superfood complex—these ingredients can help combat free radicals that cause cellular damage. Each scoop contains the equivalent of 12 servings of vegetables and fruit.
- Dairy-free probiotics—the inclusion of probiotic bacteria help improve the immune system and nutrient absorption. Prebiotics are the fiber that feeds the probiotics for good gut health.
- Antioxidants and plant extracts—these herbs and extracts include adaptogens that help you deal with stress in a healthy way.
- Digestive enzymes—including enzymes improve nutrient absorption and digestive health.
- Mushrooms—the mushroom complex is for immune health.
The brand of super greens was created in 2009 by Chris Ashenden. Ashenden said he wanted to improve his overall nutrition and also help with the gut and digestive issues he was experiencing with a daily supplement requiring just a single scoop.
Athletic ag1 greens is a way to get daily nutrition conveniently without having to take a lot of pills and capsules. It’s marketed as an all-in-one supplement for optimal performance throughout every area of your life.
Why Do People Take Athletic Greens?
It’s difficult to get all of your nutritional needs on any given day. Taking Athletic ag1 greens is a way to meet your nutritional requirements. Powdered greens are becoming increasingly popular, and they’re one of the top-selling products in the health and wellness industry.
Green powders usually have different blends of vegetables, fruits, herbs, and probiotics, but the general concept behind all of them is that you’re packing a ton of nutrition into something that’s convenient and easy to take.
When you consume these powdered ag1 greens combined with water, it also helps them be more absorbable than what you might get from pills or capsules.
Specific benefits of Athletic ag1 greens, containing natural ingredients, include:
- Increased energy boost
- Nervous system support
- Better digestion
- Strengthened immune function
- Improved liver function
- Better hormone function
- Reduces inflammation
- Can help with proper metabolism function
- Some people find that it helps with mental clarity, focus, and attention
- May help with brain function and cognitive function
According to the company, AG1 green is different from other supplements and nutritional products because each ingredient was sourced for bioavailability and concentration. AG1 is certified by NSF International for quality and safety and is NSF Certified for Sport.
Athletic greens’ AG1 green product is suitable for people of all ages and lifestyles, although children and pregnant or nursing women should get advice from a medical professional before using it.
Athletic Greens Nutritional Information
The list of ingredients in Athletic greens includes fruit powders, reishi mushroom powder, vegetable powders, organic chlorella powder, and beet root powder. Vitamins in Athletic ag1 greens, a complete supplement, include per scoop of powder:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid helps your cells convert glucose into energy and supports heart health
- Biotin, a B vitamin that promotes healthy nails, skin, and hair, is on the list of vitamins included in Athletic ag1 greens.
- Bromelain is a set of enzymes and cofactors that help your body break down, digest, and utilize protein
- CoQ10 is on the ingredient list and helps with fatigue, heart health, and athletic performance, as well as having antioxidant activity.
- Folate is a B vitamin that helps with neurological health and cellular energy production. Methylfolate is the particular form used in AG1 greens, which is found to be more bioavailable than folic acid for most people.
- Methylcobalamin is an active form of vitamin B12 that helps support cellular energy and is often not found in high levels in vegan and vegetarian diets
- Niacin benefits the brain and helps repair cellular damage
- Pantothenic acid or vitamin B5 helps your body use fats properly, improves energy levels, and is linked to metabolism
- Riboflavin or vitamin B6 helps other vitamins do their jobs, and it allows your body to convert food into energy
- Thiamin or vitamin B1 converts carbs into energy and promotes healthy cognition and nervous system function
- Vitamin A is an antioxidant, and it helps with skin, eye, and thyroid health, so it’s included in this greens powder.
- Vitamin B6 helps your body break down protein into amino acids. Vitamin B6 is needed for hemoglobin production, heart health, and the development of serotonin and dopamine.
- Vitamin C supports nutrient absorption and immune health.
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps promote healthy, glowing skin.
- Vitamin K helps with bone health and cellular signaling.
To use Athletic Greens, a standard serving is a scoop per day. If possible, you should try to take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If you fast, you can use it to break your fast in your eating window and then eat shortly after.
You can add AG1 greens to water or a smoothie, milk, or juice.
How Much Does Athletic Greens Powder Cost?
Our original question was why is Athletic Greens Reddit so expensive?
So how much does the green superfood powder cost?
If you buy one bag of AG1 on the company’s website, it’s $99. That’s $3.30 per serving because you get 30 servings or a 30-day supply.
If you subscribe and get a single subscription, you pay $2.63 per serving, with a bag costing a total of $79.
This option means you get a monthly subscription delivery, including a starter kit with a jar and shaker. There’s also a double subscription for $149 a month. There are two pouches, and it’s $2.48 a serving, delivered monthly.
We weren’t able to find the product available on Amazon currently. According to the site, it’s unavailable right now, but there is a brand profile for Athletic Greens Reddit set up. We couldn’t find it on other retail sites either, which makes it seem that maybe Athletic Greens is trying to push all customers through their own website, although we can’t say for sure that’s the case.
Celebrity Power of the Green Drink Supplement
There is undoubtedly a lot of celebrity buzz surrounding Athletic Greens, although much of it is through endorsements. For example, Peloton’s Robin Arzon mentioned the drink in the New York Times a few years ago, but she’s also an investor. Other investors include Cindy Crawford, Hugh Jackman, and Steve Aoki.
Athletic Greens has a valuation of more than $1 billion, and its marketing seems to appeal largely to high achievers who want to be on the cusp of all things wellness-related.
There’s an aspirational element of Athletic Greens, thanks in part to the celebrity advertisers, that seems to be part of its appeal and perhaps also the high price tag. The company’s founder and CEO said that there’s a fundamental shift in people who want ownership and control over their health.
The name change from Athletic Greens Reddit to AG1 greens was part of a marketing move to appeal more to women.
Are Powdered Greens Actually Good For You?
On social media and especially TikTok and Instagram, a lot of not only influencers but regular people often share the benefits they feel they experience with green powders. These benefits tend to include less bloating and better gut health, clearer skin, and more energy.
While not specifically touting Athletic Greens, celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow and Kate Winslet say that green powders are part of their daily routines.
Are these powders actually beneficial for you?
The short answer is that they can be.
According to the American Heart Association, adults need four to five servings of fruits and vegetables each in a day, yet only 1 in 10 meet these goals.
Powdered greens can fill in the gaps that so many of us have.
In an ideal world, you get all your vitamins and minerals from whole foods instead of supplements, but we all know that it’s not an ideal world.
If you struggle to eat a healthy diet or get enough fruits or vegetables, a green powder could be a good option.
At the same time, relying on it to replace a nutrient-dense diet isn’t optimal.
If you go on Reddit, you’ll find some people who swear Athletic Greens Reddit is life-changing for them. You can take that for what it’s worth, but some people do seem to feel it improves their workouts and energy levels. Some of these people say they have chronic illnesses, so they have a hard time absorbing nutrients, and Athletic Greens Reddit is the one thing that helps them as a result.
So, Why Is Athletic Greens So Expensive?
We did a fair amount of research on the topic of green powders, and we found Athletic Greens Reddit is the most expensive product. At $99 a bag, if you’re not willing to subscribe, it’s the most expensive of the similar products on the market.
Why is Athletic Greens so expensive?
It simply seems to be the brand. The brand is huge, and it’s getting bigger. You are paying for the brand name, which maybe you prefer, but there are cheaper alternatives to consider if you want a green powder that doesn’t cost $100 a month.
There are a lot of ingredients in the product, and you get a good combination of things that you would otherwise pay a lot for if you bought them as individual supplements, but Athletic Greens isn’t the only green powder offering this combination.
Why Is Athletic Greens Reddit So Expensive—Final Thoughts
Athletic Greens Reddit is a mega-brand that gets a lot of publicity and has a celebrity following as well as celebrities who invest in the company and endorse it as a result. It does have potential health benefits, but it’s also one of the most expensive green powders. If you’re willing to pay the high price, it does seem to have benefits for your health, however.
People in particular who might benefit from this greens product include anyone that doesn’t eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, people with restricted diets, vegans or vegetarians, and people with busy lifestyles who have a hard time getting all the nutrients they need or getting enough daily vitamins.
Athletic Greens Reddit could also be beneficial for people with chronic malabsorption issues who can’t otherwise get all the needed nutrients and could benefit from the liquid delivery.
Our takeaway for our Athletic Greens Reddit review is that it could support optimal health, healthy aging, energy levels, wellness, and nutrition, but you might shop around for similar alternatives if you’re wary of the price of this green superfood powder.