This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
Four Sigmatic is known for its mushroom coffee and other medicinal mushroom products. Below, we’re going to give you an overview of what you should know before you buy anything from Four Sigmatic. We’ll cover the best products, what customer reviews say, and what the health benefits are.
We’re huge fans of functional mushrooms and the medicinal powers of mushrooms in general, so we’re excited to explore more of these powerful properties in the below reviews. According to the brand, they offer the planet’s most astoundingly nutrient-dense ingredients, but is that true?
Do We Recommend Four Sigmatic Products?
We are big believers in the power of healing medicinal mushrooms, and that’s what the Four Sigmatic products are built on. We do recommend that you try their products, and especially their mushroom coffees. The mushroom coffees have remarkable, bioactive substances from mushrooms like lion’s mane and chaga that can improve your mental and physical health and well-being.
Check Four Sigmatic Prices
Four Sigmatic Top-Selling Products
The following is a quick overview of the top-selling products from the brand, and you can find more detail about each if you scroll down.
- Four Sigmatic Ground Coffee with Lion’s Mane: Give your productivity and energy level a boost with mushroom coffee containing lion’s mane. This adaptogen coffee mix is likely to become one of your daily favorites quickly. Enjoy a smooth, dark brew that’s crash-free. The coffee also has chaga, so your brain and body are going to be optimized. The mushroom coffee includes Fair Trade organic beans from Honduras. There’s also an instant version of the mushroom coffee.
- Mushroom Coffee Latte with Lion’s Mane: This limits the caffeine and has lion’s mane and chaga for clean, focused energy compared to regular coffee. This mushroom coffee mix has a nice earthy flavor that’s a perfect addition to your morning routine.
- Lion’s Mane Elixir: If you’d rather skip the coffee, the Lions Mane Elixir doesn’t have caffeine. In addition to organic lion’s mane, it also contains Rhodiola, organic field mint, and rose hips extract.
- Matcha Latte: With the lion’s mane, this sweet, dairy-free matcha is another source of focused, clean and crash-free energy.
- Adaptogen Focus: Taken as a shot, Adaptogen Focus includes lion’s mane and comes in a fruity flavor. It features 50 mg of caffeine, and it’s a perfect afternoon pick-me-up.
- Focus Blend: Seven apoptogenic and nootropic ingredients come together in the caffeine-free Focus Blend, which you can add to food or beverages.
The following are products that help boost your immune system from the Four Sigmatic lineup.
- Mushroom Coffee with Immune Support: This medium-roast, moderate-caffeine coffee blend includes effective ingredients like chaga mushrooms along with vitamin D.
- Mushroom Coffee with Probiotics: Give your gut health and your entire immune system a boost while fueling yourself for your day with this mushroom coffee.
- Four Sigmatic Defend Mushroom Blend: As a powder supplement, you can add this to essentially anything. The ingredients include ten functional mushrooms that are great for your immune system and overall health and well-being.
If you’re interested in relaxation, the top-selling Four Sigmatic “chill” wellness elixirs include:
- Four Sigmatic Mushroom Cacao Mix: This mix contains reishi, which is a relaxing adaptogen mushroom. You can take it in the evening before bed to alleviate stress and anxiety and get the best possible sleep. The cacao mix is like a hot chocolate treat with a lot more benefits.
- Chill Decaf Coffee: If you don’t want the buzz of caffeine, the Chill Ground Coffee from Four Sigmatic contains reishi and chaga, to relax you physically and mentally.
- Chai Latte with Reishi and Turkey Tail: A light, sweet and soothing drink, this contains turkey tail and reishi so you can have it any time. It also features a bit of spice and is plant-based.
Four Sigmatic has protein mixes available. These options include Plant-Based Protein With Super Foods for daily nutrition. Add this to your shakes, smoothies, and recipes. It includes chaga, reishi, and cordyceps, along with lion’s mane and turkey tail mushrooms. Also included in the formulation are organic eleuthero and ashwagandha.
You can click on any of the links above to learn more about the products and their prices on Amazon, and below, we go into more detail about some of the most popular options from Four Sigmatic.
The Four Sigmatic company originally started in Finland. They want to create a different coffee beverage based on what their grandparents brewed in Finland using chaga mushrooms. The company’s founders found that when they create coffee with chaga, it reduced the jitters and energy crashes of a typical cup of coffee and instead provided smooth, clean energy.
Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee
The primary ingredient in the lineup of products is the Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee. It’s available in regular options as well as instant coffee. Described as functional coffee, the signature blend includes a great combination of lion’s mane and chaga mushroom along with organic Arabica coffee beans.
Benefits of mushroom coffee include creative focus and mental clarity. Another benefit of mushroom coffee is immune support. You don’t get any mushroom taste at all. You can revolutionize your coffee routine with these products.
Key things to know about mushroom coffee include:
- Made with organic, Fair Trade coffee grown in Honduras. Each brew is full-bodied, clean, and flavorful.
- A cup contains 250 mg of wild-harvested Siberian chaga mushroom. The mushroom is non-GMO, contains no fillers, and is made only from wood-grown fruiting bodies.
- No bitter aftertaste or mushroom flavors.
- Contains the fruiting bodies of wood-grown organic lion’s mane mushroom extract.
- The company follows strict extraction techniques. The mushrooms aren’t grown on grain. They’re gathered from mushroom farms or harvested in the forest. The mushrooms are then extracted for fat- water-soluble compounds for maximum bioavailability.
Chaga mushroom is one of the most outstanding medicinal mushrooms available, with health benefits for nearly anyone.
Benefits of a chaga mushroom elixir include:
- Chaga mushroom is a nutrient-dense superfood containing B-complex vitamins, potassium, vitamin D, amino acids, fiber, copper, selenium, iron, magnesium, and more.
- Oxidative stress creates visible signs of aging like sagging skin, gray hair, and wrinkles. Exposure to sun and pollution can lead to too many free radicals for your body to effectively neutralize, accelerating signs of aging. Chaga mushroom has powerful antioxidant properties that can combat these free radicals.
- Researchers are looking at the potential that chaga may be able to prevent cancer and slow its growth, primarily because of the antioxidants it contains. For example, studies in Petri dishes have shown chaga can slow the growth of breast, lung, and cervical cancer cells. Chaga in animal studies has slowed tumor growth. In 2009, a study found compounds in chaga caused tumors to self-destruct without harming healthy cells.
- Chaga may help lower blood pressure. Lowering blood pressure can reduce the risk of heart health issues like heart attacks and stroke.
- Cytokines are part of your immune system’s messaging. They’re proteins that stimulate your white blood cells. White blood cells then protect you against illnesses. Chaga, in animal studies, is shown to regulate cytokine production to help you fight illnesses and infection.
- Inflammation is the root cause of some of the most significant health problems, physically and mentally. Chaga has potent anti-inflammatory properties. When inflammation is well-controlled, you can reduce symptoms of illnesses like rheumatoid arthritis as well as depression.
- Animal studies indicate chaga mushrooms may help lower blood sugar.
Lion’s mane is the other key mushroom component in the coffee from Four Sigmatic.
Benefits of lion’s mane mushroom include:
- Lion’s mane mushrooms benefit the brain, gut, and heart.
- They contain bioactive substances with many substantial health benefits.
- As we age, our brain loses its ability to form new connections. Lion’s mane mushroom has components called erinacines and hericenones that can stimulate the growth of new brain cells.
- Lion’s mane may help protect against Alzheimer’s disease, and it can reduce cognitive impairment. For example, a study in older people with mild cognitive impairment found three grams of powdered lion’s mane a day for six months significantly improved mental functioning. These benefits ended when stopping the supplement.
- Lion’s mane is a good way to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression naturally. Relatively new research in animals supports this.
- Lion’s mane extract can help the hippocampus function, which is an area of the brain that processes memories and controls emotional responses. The improved functioning in this area may be why lion’s mane helps alleviate depressive and anxiety behaviors.
- Some evidence shows lion’s mane can help the nervous system recover from injuries faster. For example, lion’s mane may help reduce brain damage after a stroke, likely because it can help in the growth and repair of nerve cells.
- Digestive tract ulcers are often caused by bacterial overgrowth or the long-term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Lion’s mane may help prevent stomach ulcers by inhibiting H. pyloric bacterial growth and protecting the stomach lining from damage.
- There’s the potential that lion’s mane can reduce inflammation and tissue damage in areas of the intestines and may be beneficial for treating inflammatory bowel disease.
- This mushroom may have cardiovascular benefits. For example, in animal studies, it’s been shown to improve fat metabolism and lower triglyceride levels.
- There are benefits for the management of diabetes thanks to improvements in blood sugar levels. It may also reduce symptoms like diabetic nerve pain.
- Cancer occurs when there’s damage to our DNA. That damage then causes an out-of-control division and replication of cells. Some of the compounds of lion’s mane may help with certain types of cancer cells, including colon, stomach, liver and blood cancer cells.
- Several studies in animals have found the potential for lion’s mane to reduce markers of inflammation.
- When you take lion’s mane, it can boost your immune system. This effect likely occurs because of an increase in activity of the intestinal immune system. Your intestinal immune system protects your body from pathogens that enter your gut through your nose or mouth.
Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee Reviews
There are several different types of coffee available. We’re primarily discussing the Four Sigmatic Mushroom Ground Coffee with Lion’s Mane because it’s our favorite product. Customer reviews seem to agree.
Of the thousands of ratings for this particular coffee blend on Amazon, 75% are five-star.
Some users say this coffee is changing their life. We found a lot of reviewers who said they used to drink a lot of coffee, and it wasn’t giving them energy anymore but was causing them to feel jittery. Now, they’ve replaced their old coffee with mushroom coffee, and most users say it’s helped them feel energized and alert. Many people find that by using mushroom coffee they’ve been able to cut down on their overall caffeine consumption, so they get better sleep as well.
Four Sigmatic Rogan Recommendation
You may be researching the Four Sigmatic mushroom coffee because of the Joe Rogan recommendation. The podcaster did say that Four Sigmatic is part of his daily routine, and he uses the lion’s mane products. He said he feels like, along with being good for you, it tastes great.
Four Sigmatic Chai Latte with Reishi
Along with the traditional coffee we talked about above, we also wanted to feature the delicious Chai Latte Mix from Four Sigmatic.
This isn’t for focus or energizing like the mushroom coffee. Instead, it’s ideal when you want to relax.
The Chai Latte mix doesn’t taste like mushrooms, and it’s ready to drink after you mix it with eight ounces of hot water. You can add coconut milk, stevia, or coconut oil if you want more of a creamy texture. There’s organic turkey tail in this combination as well as organic reishi mushroom.
Spices like clove, ginger, and cinnamon calm the stomach, and there’s no caffeine so you don’t have to worry about being kept up at night.
Benefits of turkey tail mushroom include:
- Like other medicinal mushrooms, turkey tail is high in antioxidants to help prevent cellular damage and chronic inflammation. Antioxidants in turkey tail include phenols and flavonoids. These antioxidants stimulate the release of protective compounds.
- Turkey tail mushroom has something called polysaccharopeptides, which are protein-bound polysaccharides. PSK and PSP are two examples, both of which can boost the immune system and suppress inflammation. In Japan, PSP and PSK are standard anticancer medications and conventional treatments like chemotherapy or surgery.
- In people with cancer, turkey tail and namely the PSK may help improve immune function and inhibit the spread of cancer cells, especially when combined with traditional treatments.
- If you struggle with gut health, turkey tail can help. This mushroom contains prebiotics that helps your gut bacteria. Your gut bacteria are tied in with your immune response. Taking turkey tail can increase populations of beneficial bacteria and reduce harmful bacteria.
- A study of people with HPV found that 88% of participants who received turkey tail had positive effects like clearance of HPV compared to 5% of the control group.
- Taking turkey tail may improve athletic performance and reduce fatigue.
In addition to all the above benefits, turkey tail has a good safety profile.
Reishi is also included in the “Chill” formulations of the Four Sigmatic products, including the chai mix. Benefits of the reishi elixir include:
- Reishi is a component of Eastern medicine with a number of molecules thought to have health benefits.
- One of the big reasons people take reishi mushrooms is because they can improve immune system function. For example, in test tube studies, researchers have found it can affect the genes in your white blood cells.
- Reishi might alter the inflammation pathways in your white blood cells and increase natural killer cells that fight cancer and infections.
- In healthy people, reishi might also help your white blood cell function. For example, in one study of athletes exposed to stress, reishi helped improve their lymphocyte function.
- There are cancer-fighting properties associated with reishi. Test-tube studies have shown it can cause the death of cancer cells. In studies of people with colorectal cancer, research shows after a year of treatment with reishi, it helped reduce the number and size of tumors in the large intestine.
- Fighting fatigue and depression appears to benefit from reishi, and when people take it for eight weeks or more in studies, they’ve shown improvements in well-being and less anxiety.
Four Sigmatic Chai Latte Reviews
Again, for the most part, customers do seem to enjoy the Chai Latte. However, some people don’t like the taste, so that’s something we wanted to note.
If you don’t mind the taste, several users said they noticed benefits from drinking it regularly including improvements in their gut health. Some users describe it as mellow and grounding, and it could be a replacement for caffeine if that’s a goal you have.
Four Sigmatic Adaptogen Blend
While people tend to know Four Sigmatic primarily for the mushroom coffee, we wanted to point out that the Adaptogen Blend Mix could be worth trying as well. This superfood mix includes ginger, ginseng, and turmeric. It’s good to help promote stress relief and immune function.
Things to know about the Adaptogen blend include:
- The formulation includes eight adaptogen herbs, like holy basil, ashwagandha, and amla.
- There’s also reishi and cordyceps mushrooms in this blend.
- This combination will help you balance and fight stress. It can also repair your adrenals if they’re experiencing the effects of stress.
- You can take the superfood blend any time of day by adding it to your coffee, juice or smoothie. You can also add it to recipes.
- Adaptogens are substances that help stabilize your physiological functions to protect you from the effects of stress.
What Do Customers Say About the Adaptogen Blend?
Overall as is the case with other products from this brand, the vast majority of reviews from people using the products indicate good things about the Adaptogen Blend. Users say that it’s helped them have more energy and focus when they need it, but at the same time get better quality of sleep at night.
We found users who say it’s helped clear up acne and improve their skin, and quite a few reviews indicate that this product is powerful for your immune system.
The big complaint we consistently noticed in reviews for the blend is that people feel like they got less than what they expected because the containers they receive aren’t always packed, so they don’t get the 30 servings they expected. This is something we wanted our readers to be aware of.
Four Sigmatic Protein Powder
Finally, the last product we wanted to go a little more in-depth on is the Four Sigmatic Protein Powder.
The incredible blend is a plant-based protein powered by mushrooms and adaptogens. Key features of the protein supplements include:
- Vegan protein powder
- 18 grams of plant-based protein in each serving
- Includes organic American pea protein, organic hemp protein, chia, organic pumpkin protein, and organic coconut protein
- Includes a high dose of seven mushrooms and adaptogens
- Ingredients include chaga, reishi, lion’s mane, turkey tail, and cordyceps
- The formulation also provides ashwagandha and eleuthero
- No fillers
- Every batch is third-party lab tested for heavy metals and pesticides
We like the idea of combining your protein needs with the power of the mushrooms and adaptogens in this formulation. The plant-based protein from Four Sigmatic has cordyceps, and we haven’t gone over the benefits of this particular mushroom yet. Cordyceps benefits include:
- Cordyceps mushrooms help boost exercise performance because they increase your body’s production of ATP, which delivers energy to your muscles.
- This particular type of mushroom can improve how your body uses oxygen, especially when you’re working out.
- Cordyceps may have anti-aging benefits because they neutralize free radicals, and they might improve strength and sex drive.
- Researchers have been looking at the potential of cordyceps to inhibit the growth of several types of cancer including melanoma, lymphoma, lung cancer, and colon cancer.
- Cordyceps may help with some of the side effects of cancer therapy, such as leukopenia, which is a condition where you have low white blood cells.
- There’s a sugar in cordyceps that may help with the management and treatment of type 2 diabetes.
- As is the case with other medicinal mushrooms, cordyceps can help combat inflammation that could be damaging or increase your risk of heart disease or cancer.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following are brief answers to some of the questions you may have about this brand.
What Is Four Sigmatic?
Four Sigmatic is a wonderful brand that integrates modern elements with traditional Finnish coffee recipes. The company uses medicinal and therapeutic mushrooms like cordyceps and reishi and coffee, and other adaptogens for products that help you be and feel your best.
Four Sigmatic products include protein, coffee, chai lattes, and powder mixes you can add to any beverage.
What Is Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee?
Four Sigmatic coffee is a traditional dark roast that you brew in single cups and as an instant mix. The Four Sigmatic mushroom coffee includes lion’s mane mushroom, a natural nootropic supporting concentration, focus, and memory. It also contains chaga mushroom and organic Rhodiola root which is a natural stress-reliever that doesn’t make you feel tired.
The mushroom coffee doesn’t have any fillers or additives, and the ingredients are naturally farmed or wild harvested.
There are decaffeinated versions of mushroom coffee too.
How to Brew Four Sigmatic Coffee
You brew Four Sigmatic coffee like you would any other real coffee product. There are single-serving pods you can use in your coffee maker, or you can brew a cup or pot of regular ground coffee. There’s also instant coffee you can mix with warm water.
Once you brew the coffee, you can add whatever you would typically like creamer or something like Bulletproof oil.
You can have more than one coffee per day, or you can use some of the other blends that can serve as caffeine-free coffee replacements.
Where to Buy Four Sigmatic?
Our preference as far as where to buy Four Sigmatic is on Amazon. You can comparison shop, check reviews, and get fast shipping. Several national retailers also stock these products, however. You can find Four Sigmatic at Whole Foods, Earth Fare, and The Fresh Market as well as local and smaller grocery and natural and health foods retailers.
How Much Caffeine in Four Sigmatic?
The following is a breakdown of how much caffeine is in Four Sigmatic popular products:
- Balance Coffee with Ashwagandha and Eleuthero: 75 mg per 12-ounce cup
- Ground Mushroom Coffee with Lion’s Mane: 150 mg per 12-ounce cup
- Ground Mushroom Coffee with Probiotics: 150 mg per 12-ounce cup
- Immune Support Coffee with Vitamin D and Chaga: 150 mg per 12-ounce cup
- Perform Coffee with L-Theanine and Cordyceps: 190 mg per 12-ounce cup
The coffee pods with mushrooms have caffeine that’s similar to any other caffeinated coffee pod. The range is usually anywhere from 75 to 85 mg of caffeine.
The Matcha Latte with Lion’s Mane has 20 mg of caffeine per serving. The Adaptogen Focus with Lion’s Mane has 50 mg of caffeine per serving, coming from guayusa.
Blends including golden and chai lattes, chill decaf coffee, and plant-based protein don’t have any caffeine making them good coffee-replacement beverages for a little additional everyday magic.
Where Does Four Sigmatic Get Their Mushrooms?
According to the company, they put a significant focus on sourcing the best mushrooms.
When you buy many mushroom-based supplements currently on the market, you’re often getting the mycelium primarily. The mycelium is the roots system of the mushroom that grows on grains like oats and rice. The grain isn’t separated from the mycelium, so you’re getting a lot of that with maybe only a bit of the mycelium.
Nearly all mushrooms grown in the U.S. use this method.
Four Sigmatic is unique because they use real mushrooms, but in doing so, they don’t source them from the United States. They work with an organic family farm in Asia that they’ve been working with for more than seven years. The brand’s representatives regularly visit the farm to ensure quality standards are being upheld.
Asia has the longest history of mushroom cultivation in the world. It’s the only place you can get functional mushrooms and buy organic, log-grown fruiting bodies. The mushrooms are wild-harvested and extracted to make sure you’re getting the most beta-glucans and polysaccharides.
Final Thoughts—Four Sigmatic Reviews
We like the Four Sigmatic mushroom coffee and the other products overall. They’re a strong brand with a group of caring people leading them, the idea is great, and they take the time to make sure they’re formulating blends that will bring value to your health and your life. Once you try them you’ll want to have these products on your kitchen counter at all times.