This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
CoQ10 is an antioxidant enzyme that occurs naturally in the body. CoQ10 levels decrease with age, and as such, it may be necessary that you take a supplement to keep yourself healthy. The world of supplements is confusing, and sometimes it is hard to understand if you need a supplement, or how much and what kind of supplement you may need.
In this guide, you will learn all about CoQ10. You will also be educated on the different types of CoQ10, the guidelines for taking CoQ10, and the best CoQ10 supplements.
What is CoQ10?
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a substance that is naturally present in the human body. This substance works as an antioxidant, and as an enzyme. CoQ10 occurs throughout the body, but it is most concentrated in the heart and kidneys, as well as the liver and pancreas.
Antioxidants work in the body to protect against free radicals. Free radicals are unstable atoms that are thought to cause damage to cells. Cell damage can result in rapid aging, cancer, and other various diseases. Antioxidants trap and block these from causing so much damage in the body.
Enzymes work to catalyze reactions in the body. Catalysts are substances that decrease the energy needed to complete a reaction. These are necessary for the body for it to be efficient and to work properly.
In the heart, CoQ10 protects from and reduces oxidative damage. Heart failure is a consequence of other heart diseases. This results in increased oxidative damage and inflammation. Patients that take CoQ10 have been shown to have improved heart function and increased energy output that is optimized for heart function.
In the kidneys, CoQ10 protects from free radicals. CoQ10 affects metabolism and whole-body health. CoQ10 is thought to be beneficial in the brain.
CoQ10 is also suggested to help wilt fertility issues.
CoQ10 may also help your body to prevent cancer. If free radicals cause oxidative damage your cells and their DNA can be altered. This alteration may cause cancer. CoQ10 may help prevent this damage from occurring.
Why do We Need CoQ10?
CoQ10 is needed in the body to carry out basic cellular functions, as well as to prevent oxidative damage.
CoQ10 occurs in almost all cells in the body. It also occurs in mitochondrial membranes. This means it is important to the synthesis of ATP which is the molecule that cells use for energy.
CoQ10 serves many important functions and may even help treat some diseases such as cardiovascular disease, hypertension (high blood pressure), and diabetes mellitus.
CoQ10 has the potential for being used as a preventative measure for some cancers and neurological diseases. It may be helpful to slow the aging process as well.
How much CoQ10 do You Need?
CoQ10 is an essential nutrient and as such, it is necessary that you consume enough per day. Here are typical requirements for CoQ10, talks to your medical provider if you are unsure how much CoQ10 you should have per day.
The typical recommendation for CoQ10 intake is 90-200mg per day. For certain conditions, you may require different amounts of CoQ10.
Please speak with your doctor before starting a CoQ10 supplement. They can tell you how much you need and give you instructions for taking CoQ10 that are personalized to fit your needs.
Should I Take a CoQ10 Supplement?
CoQ10 supplements may be necessary for people that suffer from heart failure or are recovering from heart surgery. It is also thought to be good for those suffering from migraines.
CoQ10 is suggested to help strengthen muscles that are weakened by statins (cholesterol-reducing drugs). CoQ10 may also support athletic performance.
As always consult your medical provider in order to understand which supplement is right for you.
Can a CoQ10 Deficiency be Harmful?
Average people, even the elderly do not typically suffer from a CoQ10 deficiency as it is synthesized in the body.
People with genetic mutations that cause primary CoQ10 deficiency may need supplements to possibly restore muscular strength. There are 5 major types of CoQ10 deficient mutations, severe infantile multi-systemic disease, encephalomyopathy, cerebellar ataxia, isolated myopathy, and nephrotic syndrome.
CoQ10 supplementation may help improve muscle strength in some patients, it may also help with some neurological issues caused by these mutations.
CoQ10 deficiencies are very rare; however, if you feel like you aren’t getting enough with your diet you may need a CoQ10 supplement.
What are the Types of CoQ10 Supplements?
CoQ10 is typically in the Ubiquinone form. This form is more stable than the ubiquinol and is typically the form most available for purchase. CoQ10 supplements come in a variety of shapes and sizes, each one has different benefits.
We will cover these varieties when informing you of the best CoQ10 Supplements:
- Capsules- Capsules are pills filled with CoQ10, these are typically small, and easy to swallow. They are very popular forms of supplements.
- Softgels- These are the liquid-filled counterparts to capsules; these are smooth and very easy to swallow. These are another very common and popular way to take a CoQ10 supplement.
- Liquids- There are not many liquid CoQ10 supplements on the market. The ones that are should be treated as any other supplement. They typically contain flavorings and are a good alternative if you cannot swallow capsules or softgels or dislike swallowing these.
- Gummies- Gummies are a fun way to take supplements. These offer a variety of flavors and are very good for people that have difficulties with taking traditional capsules.
- Powders- Powders are great for adding to meals and drinks without worrying about having to swallow a pill. Powders are still supplements and should be measured and taken in the right dosage.
How Do You Choose the Best CoQ10 Supplement?
Choosing the best CoQ10 supplement is something you should discuss with your medical provider. Here are some tips and guidelines to follow when choosing the best CoQ10 supplement.
These tips may be used for finding other supplements as well. Please consult with your medical provider if you have any questions.
- Make sure your supplement is the right dosage.
- Ensure the quality of your supplement.
- Look for quality certifications such as USDA organic, FDA (Food and Drug Administration), GMP (Good Management Practices)
- Check to see if your supplement is third-party tested.
- If you have allergies or diet restrictions check to make sure the supplement is free from these.
- Check the reviews if shopping online, these can be a good indicator of the quality of the product.
Always speak with your doctor before taking any supplements. Ask them what they would suggest for your needs.
Can You Take Too Much CoQ10?
CoQ10 is generally recognized as safe however like all supplements it is a good idea to take only how much you need. It is typically well accepted in the body even at larger doses such as 1000mg. In order to get the most benefits from the best CoQ10 supplements.
Tips for Taking CoQ10
If taking CoQ10 supplements seems like the right choice for you, consider these tips to get the most out of your CoQ10.
- Take the right dosage. If you are unsure how much you need, ask a healthcare professional.
- CoQ10 may have interactions with medicines like Warfarin, so check with your doctor to see if it’s okay for you to take it.
- CoQ10 is fat-soluble, so make sure to take it with a meal high in healthy fats for the best absorption rate.
- Remember to eat healthily and exercise in order to better feel the effects of any supplement.
What are the Top 10 Best CoQ10 Supplements?
Finding the best CoQ10 supplements may be hard for you, but here is a list to get you started in the process. As always, speak to your medical provider before starting any supplement or medication. Here are our top ten picks for the best CoQ10 supplements. (These products are not arranged in any order, as they are all dependable):
Contains Bioperine for Increased Bioavailability
- Quality trusted rating is an A+
- Reviews say it makes a huge difference in how buyers felt
- Amazon top seller with stellar reviews
- Contains Bioperine for better absorption
This best CoQ10 supplement is in the form of a capsule. It contains Bioperine (Bioperine is a black pepper extract used to boost absorption of some supplements).
This product contains minimal ingredients without any additives or fillers. This best CoQ10 supplement is free from artificial flavorings, colorants, preservatives, and hormones. It is vegan and cruelty-free (this protects animals from inhumane testing).
This product contains a full month supply of 250mg servings of CoQ10. This best CoQ10 supplement is made in the USA, and it is GMP certified, which means the facility is known for its quality of production.
The reviews on this product say that it is high quality and that it is very easy to take. They also suggest that it is very effective in boosting energy and that it is effective in certain chronic disease management.
Supports Cardiovascular Health and Cell Function
- Contains Hawthorne Berry for extra Cardiovascular benefits
- Non-GMO, Vegetarian/Vegan, Kosher, GMP Certified
- Reviews say it is a great price for a great product
- Formulated specifically for heart health
This best CoQ10 supplement is in the form of a capsule. It contains hawthorn berry. Hawthorne berries are a very powerful supplement on their own but combined with CoQ10 it forms a very good heart health supplement.
This product contains minimal ingredients without additives or fillers. The only ingredients are CoQ10, Hawthorne Berry, and the capsules. This best CoQ10 capsule is vegan, vegetarian, non-GMO, and kosher.
This product contains a 180-day supply of 100mg servings of CoQ10. This best CoQ10 supplement’s production facility is GMP certified. The Now company is family owned and operated and dedicated to sustainability.
The reviews on this product say that you get very good quality at an affordable price. Reviewers also report good results both inside and out.
Contains Coconut Oil and Bioperine to Improve Absorption
- Enhanced Absorption with Bioperine and Coconut oil
- 90-day Money Back Guarantee
- Made in the USA
- USP Grade Ubiquinone CoQ10
This best CoQ10 supplement is in the form of a softgel. It contains Bioperine and coconut oil. The Bioperine makes the Coq10 more bioavailable, and the coconut oil allows your body to absorb it more efficiently.
This product contains certified non-GMO ingredients. It is free of most common allergens except tree nuts, due to the coconut oil. This best CoQ10 capsule is vegan, vegetarian, non-GMO, and USP grade.
This product contains a 120-day supply of 100mg servings of CoQ10. This best CoQ10 supplement’s production facility is GMP certified. It has been tested and clinically proven. This is very important for verifying the effectiveness of a supplement.
The reviews on this product describe a noticeable difference in their quality of life. They say that this best CoQ10 is an awesome product and that it is great for overall health and wellness
3X Better Absorption for Heart Health and Energy Support
- Third-Party Tested for quality, purity, and potency
- Made with pure, pharmaceutical-grade, ingredients
- Features naturally fermented CoQ10 which is more bioavailable and absorbed 3x better by your body.
- Reviews say it is easy to swallow and digest
This best CoQ10 supplement is in the form of a softgel. It contains Bioperine and vitamin E for added health benefits. This product contains all pharmaceutical grade ingredients.
This product contains minimal ingredients without any unnecessary additives. This product is vegetarian. It is free from all common allergens and contains no sugar, stearates, or artificial colors.
This best CoQ10 supplement contains a supply of 200mg servings of CoQ10. There are 90 servings per container for up to a 90-day supply. This best CoQ10 supplement is made in the USA, and it is GMP certified. This supplement is third-party tested to ensure quality. The production facility at Terrranics is also FDA certified.
The reviews on this supplement claim that this product has benefits such as helping manage autoimmune diseases. The reviews say it is easy to swallow, easy to digest, and has a high absorption rate.
May Help Support Cellular Health and Energy
- Helps to support heart and whole-body health
- Good for statin users who need extra CoQ10
- This product is USP verified
- This supplement may help replenish depleted CoQ10 levels in the body
This best CoQ10 supplement is in the form of a softgel. This product is made by NatureMade that has been dedicated to third-party testing and responsible sourcing and manufacturing for 45 years.
This product contains no added colors, artificial flavors, or preservatives. This is important due to some of those ingredients being potentially harmful. This best CoQ10 supplement is also gluten-free.
This best CoQ10 supplement contains a supply of 200mg servings of CoQ10. There are 80 servings per container for up to an 80-day supply. This supplement is USP certified. The USP is a company that sets the official standard for supplements.
Reviews on this best CoQ10 supplement say that it helped them improve cardiovascular health drastically. Many other reviews say that this product is worth it and that they trust this brand.
High Absorption Formula Made with Organic Olive Oil
- Up to an 8-month supply of softgels per bottle
- This product features maximum potency and absorption rates
- This best CoQ10 supplement contains no fillers, binders, or GMOs
- Reviews say this product is great for the heart as well as mitochondrial function
This best CoQ10 supplement is in the form of a softgel. This supplement contains only natural ingredients and features high potency CoQ10 without fillers or artificial flavors.
This product is non-GMO. It is also made in the USA, which may help indicate the quality of the supplement. This best CoQ10 supplement is also gluten-free, lactose-free, and made without magnesium stearate.
This best CoQ10 supplement contains 100mg servings of CoQ10. There are 240 servings per container for up to a 240-day supply. This means it can last for up to 8 months. This supplement company is US based, and the US production facility is GMP certified.
Reviews on this best CoQ10 supplement say that this product works very well for them. It has reduced migraines and increased focus for some users.
Liquid Formulation Helps Promote Faster and More Effective Absorption
- Liquid CoQ10 supports easy swallowing and absorption
- This product contains all-natural sweeteners and flavorings
- Flavored like orange and pineapple to give a nice twist on taking traditional supplements
- Reviews say it is especially good for those that are needing to take larger doses of CoQ10
This best CoQ10 supplement is in the form of a liquid. This supplement contains only natural ingredients and features high potency CoQ10 that is water, and fat-soluble.
Liquid supplements such as this one are easier to take for those that cannot swallow pills. These are also a great alternative to capsules if they cause you discomfort.
This product is free of starch, sugar, yeast, wheat and milk products. It also contains no sugar, so it is safe for diabetics to use.
This best CoQ10 supplement suggests drinking 2 teaspoons of the liquid per day in order to add 100mg of CoQ10 to your diet. Taking 100mg per day, this bottle of liquid CoQ10 supplement will last you for 60 days.
Reviews on this best CoQ10 supplement say this product is very easy to take. The reviews also say it has boosted their mood, and that it is quickly absorbed.
Formulated to Maximize Gastrointestinal Absorption
- Nanoemulsified liquid dramatically improves gastrointestinal absorption of CoQ10
- This product uses phospholipids to help transport tiny particles of CoQ10
- This products CoQ10 goes directly to the bloodstream
- 1 mL delivers 30 mg of Co-enzyme Q10
This best CoQ10 supplement is in the form of a nanoemulsified liquid. This type of liquid is filled with potent particles of CoQ10 and phospolipids that increase absorption.
This product is free of gluten, soy, and GMOs. This product features the Quicksilver delivery system which promises quick and direct absorption. This supplement is GMP certified.
This best CoQ10 supplement suggests taking 2 pumps to receive 30mg of CoQ10. If taking a 30mg dose, this product can last for up to 50 days.
Quicksilver claims its CoQ10 helps with antioxidant activity, cardiovascular health, brain and nervous system health, and even oral health.
Reviews on this best CoQ10 supplement say that this product tastes very pleasant and that it is a great alternative to hard-to-swallow pills.
Pleasant-Flavored Antioxidant and Heart Health Support
- Pleasant and Fun way to take CoQ10
- Strawberry Flavored and support heart health, and cellular health
- Reviews say that these gummies taste great and are great for getting enough CoQ10.
- One serving has 100 mg of CoQ10
This best CoQ10 supplement is in the form of gummies. Gummies are a great way to take supplements because it’s just like eating candy, but healthier. These gummies are made of primarily organic ingredients.
This product is free of artificial colors and flavorings. It is also free from GMOs, gluten and milk derivatives. This best CoQ10 supplement is GMP certified and Third-Party tested.
This best CoQ10 supplement suggests taking 1 gummy per day to provide 100mg of added CoQ10 to your diet. If you follow this suggestion the gummies should last up to 60 days.
Reviews on this best CoQ10 supplement say that this product tastes absolutely amazing and is one of the best ways to take a CoQ10 supplement.
Affordable and Pure, High-Quality Form of CoQ10
- The powder can be taken more easily than pills or softgels
- Made without any additives, colors, or preservatives
- BulkSupplements are a trusted brand for quality and control
- May help cells product energy and works to combat free radicals that can contribute to aging and the development of diseases
This best CoQ10 supplement is in the form of a powder. Powders are a great way to take a supplement. They allow you to add the supplement to food or beverages to make them easier to take.
This product is free of any additives. The only thing in this product is CoQ10 powder, so it is extremely potent.
This supplement suggests taking between 1/32 and 1/8 of a teaspoon daily to absorb between 50-200mg of CoQ10. Depending on how much you take per day this bag could last for a very long time.
Reviews on this best CoQ10 supplement say that this is a great product at a very low price. The reviews also say that this is a great alternative to capsules.
CoQ10 is a valuable nutrient in the body and it is necessary that you take or synthesize enough to stay healthy. Consult your medical provider if you feel that you need a CoQ10 supplement. We have just listed the top 10 Best CoQ10 supplements to give you a starting point if you need to take one of these supplements.
We hope to have given you a good start in looking for the best CoQ10 supplement for you. Speak with your medical provider for more information on how much CoQ10 you should take, and even which supplement you may need. This article cannot replace quality advice from a healthcare provider.
As always feel free to contact us and tell us your thoughts about the article or to express your experiences (good or bad) with CoQ10. We’d love to hear from you!