This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
Vital Proteins is a leading brand for different types of collagen, and of those, the Vital Proteins Marine Collagen is one of the most popular. It’s also one of our picks for the best collagen available. We explore what it is, how it works, and also highlight Vital Proteins Marine Collagen reviews from users.
- Vital Proteins Marine Collagen is a dietary supplement
- The marine collagen from Vital Proteins is made from the scales of fish caught off the coast of Alaska
- Marine collagen is highly digestible and bioavailable
- Benefits of Vital Proteins Marine Collagen include improved skin and hair appearance, reduced joint pain, and strong nails
Vital Proteins Marine Collagen Reviews
Marine collagen is often called the beauty collagen. It supports hair, skin and nail growth as well as connective tissue health. It can also reduce appetite and help with the development of lean muscle mass.
An Overview of Vital Proteins Marine Collagen
Vital Proteins Marine Collagen features 12 grams of collagen per serving. It doesn’t contain any dairy, gluten, or artificial flavors, and it’s Whole30 approved, as well as being paleo-friendly.
The only ingredient is collagen peptides from wild-caught whitefish.
You can mix this marine collagen supplement in hot or cold liquids, making it easy to use.
What Is Marine Collagen?
Marine collagen is considered superior to bovine collagen in many ways because it’s more bioavailable, meaning your body can more easily and readily absorb it.
Collagen is naturally found throughout our bodies, and it’s essential for many areas of our health and even our appearance. As we age, our collagen production rate starts to decline. After the age of 20, we on average produce 1% less collagen each year. You can make up for some of this loss by taking a collagen supplement.
There are different types of collagen which are:
- Type I
- Type II
- Type III
- Type V
- Type X
The primary difference between these types of collagen is where they come from.
Benefits and features of each include:
- Type I collagen is a protein that forms our skin, tissues, and bones. It’s the most abundantly found collagen in our bodies and it’s the strongest at healing and rebuilding.
- Type II collagen is usually in the cartilage so it’s best to support the health of your joints and connective tissues.
- Type III collagen is similar to Type I, and it’s the second-most abundant collagen in our body, mostly found in our skin and organs. Type I and III help promote gut health and skin elasticity.
- Type V is what the placenta’s cells are made of during pregnancy.
- Type X is usually in the cartilage, and it plays a role in the growth of joint cartilage and bones.
There are different sources of collagen, including marine, but also bovine and poultry.
The reason there isn’t an effective vegan collagen supplement is that it needs to come from an animal source that has amino acids similar to what we have in our own bodies. Plant collagen wouldn’t have these amino acids so it wouldn’t promote collagen synthesis.
Bovine is the cheapest and most accessible type of collagen, but it doesn’t have as much Type I collagen, so it’s not preferable if you want a product that supports hair, skin and nails. Bovine isn’t as clean a source as marine collagen either.
Marine collagen is a pure source of hypoallergenic protein sourced from fish skins. The fish skins are taken after food production and are washed and hydrolyzed, which then yields pure marine collagen peptides.
Marine collagen has a low molecular weight, and that makes it excellent for absorption and digestion.
Marine collagen, when compared to bovine collagen, has more glycine and proline, which are two amino acids that are especially linked to healthier hair, skin and nails. As has been touched on, marine collagen is also absorbed faster by the body.
The amino acids in Vital Proteins Marine Collagen can protect against free radicals and cell damage. For example, preclinical studies have found that marine collagen can potentially protect against UV skin damage.
What are the Benefits of Marine Collagen?
Whether you opt for Vital Proteins Marine Collagen or another brand, benefits include:
- Marine collagen is considered the superior type of collagen for hair, skin, and nails
- The body can absorb marine collagen faster and easier than other types
- The amino acids in marine collagen can help grow protein in your hair
- Marine collagen also builds bone strength
- When you take a marine collagen supplement, it can help your body more efficiently absorb calcium and other minerals
- Marine collagen helps with joint pain
- Taking a collagen supplement can reduce inflammation
- Marine collagen has blood sugar stabilization benefits
- Marine collagen can boost your metabolism
- Taking marine collagen is good for the brain mental health
- Oral use of collagen peptides may improve skin hydration and elasticity
- Taking a collagen peptide supplement can help improve lean muscle mass and fat loss
- Taking a collagen supplement like Vital Proteins can help you feel full for longer, which may aid in weight loss
What Are the Benefits of Vital Proteins Marine Collagen?
Vital Proteins Marine Collagen is one of the best pure marine collagen supplements on the market for reasons including:
- Marine Collagen from Vital Proteins offers 8 out of 9 essential amino acids
- The powder is hydrolyzed and it has no taste or odor, making it easy to digest and also easy to dissolve in hot or cold liquids
- During the extraction process, almost all of the allergens are removed from the fish skin used to make this marine collagen
- Non-GMO, hormone and antibiotic-free
- No sulfites, additives, or preservatives
- Sourced from cold-water, wild-caught fish
- Made from one simple, high-quality ingredient
Are There Any Downsides of Vital Proteins Marine Collagen?
The main downside of this product is that some people say that it causes them to have a skin reaction. That’s not likely due to the brand itself, but perhaps an intolerance for marine collagen in general.
Some reviews find that it doesn’t mix well in coffee, not necessarily because it doesn’t dissolve but because it can give it a weird taste.
Another complaint according to Vital Proteins Marine Collagen reviews, is that it’s an expensive product.
Overall, we found that Vital Proteins Marine Collagen reviews are largely more favorable than unfavorable.
The Vital Proteins Company
The Vital Proteins company is one of the biggest supplement companies in the country, and they offer a range of health and wellness products in addition to their marine collagen. Vital Protein’s focus is on collagen products that customers can use to replace the collagen naturally lost during aging.
Along with their marine collagen, they also have other popular products like their unflavored bovine collagen peptides and their matcha collagen.
Summary—Vital Proteins Marine Collagen Reviews
If you’re searching for a reputable, high-quality marine collagen, Vital Proteins offers a great option. As always, before you take any supplement, consult with your doctor.
Overall, taking a marine collagen supplement such as the one from Vital Proteins can improve your health in numerous ways. Marine collagen is often called the beauty collagen because of the benefits it can have for your hair, skin and nails. Fish collagen has strong anti-aging benefits and also protects against free radicals.