This post may include affiliate links. See our affiliate policy for more details.
We put together a list of DIM supplement reviews to help you find the best DIM supplement for your needs. We based on our DIM supplement reviews on the reputation of the brand, and what reviewers say. We also provide information and answers to common questions you may, such as what is a DIM supplement used for.
What is a DIM Supplement?
DIM stands for diindolylmethane, and it’s something found in cruciferous vegetables. That compound is one reason why women at high risk for breast cancer are sometimes advised to eat vegetables like broccoli and cabbage.
DIM is a hormone-balancing compound, which is why DIM supplements have become increasingly popular. When someone uses a DIM supplement, it may help with:
- Mood swings
- Male breast growth
It’s believed that DIM can balance hormones by adjusting the amount of bad-to-good estrogen. It also blocks something called aromatase, which converts testosterone to estrogen.
According to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, diindolylmethane has anticancer effects, although clinical data is somewhat limited. MSKCC goes on to say that in lab and animal studies, the DIM compound has not only anticancer effects but also anti-inflammatory effects.
It may increase bone mass as well, so it’s being studied for its potential benefits for patients with osteoporosis. DIM may help patients who have certain types of prostate cancer, and it may also reverse abnormal changes in the cells located on the surface of the cervix.
MSKCC specifically says the following, based on currently available research about DIM:
- DIM has demonstrated antiproliferative effects on cancer cell models and in animal cancer cells
- DIM has been shown to prevent the invasion by cancer cells of normal tissue
- There is research showing DIM’s effectiveness to induce apoptosis in pancreatic cancer cells
- In colon cancer cells as well as prostate cancer cells, DIM inhibits CDK activity and induces apoptosis
So what exactly is DIM, aside from being a compound in cruciferous vegetables?
It’s a plant nutrient. When you chew cruciferous vegetables, enzymes are released. When your stomach acid hits these enzymes, something called indole-3 carbinol or I3C is formed. That then turns into DIM.
DIM and Estrogen
There are several types of estrogen, and one, in particular, may prevent the growth of malignant tumors. This type of estrogen is called 2-methoxyestrogens. Researchers theorize that it could be beneficial to increase the production of this good estrogen, and that’s why DIM may be a useful supplement. When you supplement with DIM, it can promote the metabolism of the beneficial estrogen, balancing hormones.
While we often think of estrogen as being something only linked to women’s health, using a DIM supplement could be beneficial for men as well.
There is evidence, for example, that DIM supplements may have benefits in preventing colorectal cancer, and DIM can also be used to prevent an enlarged prostate, known as benign prostatic hypertrophy.
Some people use DIM supplements to help them lose weight, and as a treatment for premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
If you suffer from hormone-related migraine headaches, you might find that DIM helps with this as well. Many women suffer from migraines during a time of what’s called estrogen dominance. Other symptoms of estrogen dominance can include irritability, water retention, heavy or irregular periods, brain fog, and breast tenderness.
If you’re estrogen dominant, then it means you’re likely simultaneously dealing with a progesterone deficiency. Your brain is very sensitive to progesterone, and if you’re deficient in it, symptoms may include migraines as well as insomnia and anxiety.
Progesterone has a calming effect on the brain.
The use of a DIM supplement can help modulate your estrogen levels, which may reduce or alleviate your migraines.
Is It Safe to Take a DIM Supplement?
DIM is considered, for the most part, a safe supplement. With that being said you should always speak to a health care professional before you take any supplement. You shouldn’t take very large doses, because that can lead to side effects. If you do experience side effects they’re likely to be mild and may include nausea, vomiting, gas, diarrhea and headache.
If you experience stomach upset when you take a DIM supplement, you should consider taking it with food. That will likely remedy the problem.
Why Might a DIM Supplement Be the Best Option?
If you’re wondering whether or not it would be better to get DIM from cruciferous vegetables, there is a reason that a supplement may actually be better. DIM is very insoluble and not well-absorbed unless it has a “vehicle” to make it more bioavailable. DIM supplements will typically be formulated with a delivery system.
DIM supplements are one of the most exciting supplements currently available in many ways, but it’s not necessarily as mainstream as some other supplements.
Top DIM Supplement Reviews
The following are our selections for the best DIM supplements, based largely on DIM supplement reviews.
Best DIM Supplement #1
Nature’s Way is known for producing high-quality supplements, and based on the DIM supplement reviews, this product is no exception.
- Enhanced absorption delivery system because of the DIM-plus formulation
- Contains Indolplex BR-DIM Complex—this is the advanced bioavailability delivery system
- Reduces the levels of less favorable estrogens and increases favorable estrogens
- Gluten-free, no sugar, dairy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Also includes vitamin E
According to the DIM supplement reviews for the Nature’s Way product, this is a highly effective product. Some people say that it’s the best they’ve used. Reviewers say the benefits they’ve enjoyed after starting this supplement include clearing skin, weight loss, improved mood, and less pain with their menstrual cycle.
Other reviews say that the supplement is wonderful if you have fibroids, and it helps reduce the lower abdominal heaviness and pain that you experience when you do.
If you want to regulate your hormones naturally, this Nature’s Way DIM supplement might be a great option for you.
Best DIM Supplement #2
There are a lot of reasons to love this DIM supplement, which can help with hormone balance, PCOS, and hormonal acne, as well as the symptoms of menopause.
- Each dose contains 250 mg of Di-Indolyl methane as well as Bioperine. The Bioperine helps with bioavailability.
- Each capsule has the DIM equivalent that would come from two pounds of cruciferous vegetables.
- This DIM supplement also includes vitamin D.
- The Smoky Mountain product includes broccoli, sprouts seed, kale, organic spinach, and alfalfa for excellent overall nutritional support.
- This supplement is geared toward men as well, which may help with testosterone, improving weightlifting effects, and losing weight related to elevated estrogen.
As far as DIM supplement reviews go, we included this product because of the Bioperine, which helps ensure you’re getting as much of the supplement’s effects as possible by increasing the absorbability and bioavailability.
We also like that the supplement includes vitamin D, which many Americans are deficient in. Vitamin D is essential for immune function.
Because of the potency of this DIM supplement, you only need to take one capsule a day.
Reviews say this product helped users get rid of problems like cystic acne that they dealt with for years or even decades. Other reviews have described the product as life-changing, and it’s helped them not just feel their best but also look their best.
Best DIM Supplement #3
The DIM complex from 1 Body includes 200 mg of the compound per dose.
- Can help women going through menopause, including with the alleviation of hot flashes
- May boost mood and reduce brain fog
- With controlled estrogen, you can lose water weight and weight gain caused by hormonal changes
- Doesn’t contain wheat, gluten, soy, egg or tree nuts
- Also includes ashwagandha for further mood support as well as Rhodiola extract
This DIM supplement packs quite a bit of power. It includes not only the DIM itself but also other important vitamins and herbs for mood support and overall health. It includes vitamin B6, Vitamin D, black cohosh, and herbs like ginseng and ashwagandha.
According to the DIM supplement reviews for this product, it led to almost immediate weight loss for some users, even without making other changes to their diet. Reviewers said this product helped them with hot flashes, and results tend to occur quickly.
Since there are other vitamins and herbs added to this formulation, then you can take fewer overall supplements and pills.
We like this product because it includes black pepper to improve absorption and bioavailability. It also includes 300 mg of DIM per serving, so it’s marketed as an extra-strength product.
- Black pepper included for high absorption
- Non-GMO, contains no soy, no gluten, no sugar, and no dairy
- This product only contains DIM, which some people may prefer rather than added vitamins and herbs which some other formulations on this ranking have
- Each bottle contains 180 capsules
- Made in California
The Naturebell DIM supplement is simple and straightforward. It’s just 300 mg of DIM per serving with black pepper to boost absorption, so your body is getting the maximum of what it needs.
According to reviews, this is a high-quality product, and some say that it gave them fewer side effects than other similar DIM products. This product in particular seems to be used by many reviewers to help them boost their workout performance.
Another reviewer said they had their blood work done after they started taking this DIM supplement, and they saw major benefits. That particular reviewer was using it for secondary hypogonadism.
Zazzee is a great Amazon supplement brand, and our team of editors uses their products often. This DIM supplement includes BioPerine extra-strength and organic broccoli extract.
- Each capsule contains 300 mg of DIM, and there are 100 capsules per bottle, so it’s a great financial value
- Includes Organic Acacia Powder, which is an all-natural prebiotic
- Each serving has 10 mg of BioPerine, which is an extract from black pepper that boosts absorption
- For women, this supplement may help with symptoms of menopause and it may increase energy while helping treat PCOS.
- For men, this supplement may help with prostate health, and it may improve libido.
In general, Zazzee is a good supplement company on Amazon and we like this product because first, the capsules are completely vegetarian and non-GMA. We also like that it contains organic Acacia powder, a natural prebiotic.
The Zazzee DIM supplement has the potential to help with symptoms of menopause, weight loss and energy levels. It may also help support fertility and reduce acne in women.
A single bottle can last for four months because there’s 100 per bottle. The BioPerine included in each capsule can increase your body’s absorption of the DIM by up to 30%. Zazzee products are made in the U.S. and there aren’t any unnecessary fillers.
Some reviewers say this DIM supplement changed their life. It helped with their mood swings and their quality of life. Reviews also say it helped women reduce facial hair, and it helped them lose weight relatively quickly.
NOW Supplements makes a range of affordable, high-quality supplements on Amazon. Their DIM supplement is top-rated among reviewers.
- Includes calcium-d-glucarate which supports a process called glucuronidation, or the detoxification of environmental toxins from your body
- Promotes healthy hormonal metabolism
- NOW supplements tend to be a good value and the brand often offers discounts on Amazon
According to people reviewing this NOW DIM supplement, it helps lose weight in places where fat is typically very stubborn, particularly for women. For example, using this supplement may help with weight loss in the hips and thighs. Weight gain in these areas is often linked to cortisol, and this supplement may help balance cortisol levels because it’s balancing other hormones.
Some reviewers also say the addition of calcium-d-glucarate helps reduce their headaches.
The PurestVantage DIM supplement contains BioPerine, and each capsule is a dose of 250 mg.
- This formulation includes 250 mg of DIM as well as vitamin D and BioPerine for maximized absorption
- Includes Dong Quai, which is an herb that’s beneficial for hormonal balancing as well
- Supports healthy tissue in the cervix
- No wheat, soy, gluten, lactose or yeast
- May help with PCOS, hot flashes, fertility, low testosterone in men, and hormonal acne
According to DIM supplement reviews for this PurestVantage product, users say that they feel like their mind is clear, they have fewer food cravings, and they have much more energy than they did previously. Other reviews say it cleared their deep cystic acne and they’ve been able to sleep through the night.
People who have used this DIM supplement report that it’s helped thicken their hair, and it’s a good product to use as you try to get off birth control.
Summing UP—The Top DIM Supplement Reviews
For both women and men, DIM supplements are incredibly beneficial and exciting in many ways. If you are thinking about taking a DIM supplement, speak to your doctor first, and we encourage you to share your results if you try any of the above DIM supplements that we’ve reviewed.